• In the Spotlight:

how can I be more comfortible??

I really want to nurse my baby but I always have to leave the room......it takes forever when we have freinds over..anything you could advise?? Or tips??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use to use a receiving blanket (aka hospital baby sheet) to cover myself and the baby, if I was out in public. If everyone is okay with that, I would suggest you give it a try. Tip, be sure to tuck the blanket, so baby doesn't pull it down.
    twdivine24

Answer by twdivine24 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Try a nursing cover. You'll have your modesty, you'll still be able to see the baby and no one else can see you either.
    Anonymous

• A pull up nursing shirt (not the one where you move it to one side...the lift up is easier as it keeps your chest covered and allows more freedom especially for a beginner) with a nursing bra underneath can help immensely. Also you can use a light cloth to get the latch right until you are better at doing so and then take it off. I use a sarong just tucked into my bra strap if I am not wearing an easy shirt or know I'm going to have some trouble latching, but after that I usually take it off. In the beginning, (like the first three weeks, I would leave the room to latch and then come back only because I really needed to be practically naked to get her on. Now its not a problem.)

Honestly, just have to do it. It gets easier.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Practice in front of a mirror. If you pull your shirt up from the bottom nothing should show except maybe a little skin on your side, no breast at all. Your baby will cover the front and your shirt will cover the top and your arm will cover the side. I nursed babies for a total of 10 years in all kinds of places with no cover ups and no one ever said anything negative to me. I homeschooled and was very active, we went a lot of places with nursing babies.

You can also nurse in a sling. I made my own sling when my first was born in 1979 and I still have it and am using it with my grandson. Here is the link to sew a similar sling to the one that I have used for years.

http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Some of it is just getting used to the idea. With my first child it took me a while to get used to nursing in front of people. In fact I wasn't truly comfortable until I had my second. As others have said using a blanket to cover every thing helps. For me I needed something larger than a receiving blanket at first. I would throw the blanket over my shoulder. go under my shirt and open the nursing bra before picking up the baby. Once she was in my lap I would cover her form head to elbow, position her to nurse and then lift my shirt and help her latch. Start small maybe nurse infront of a close friend to help you get over the shyness. Then move on from there. If you are more comfortable you can still move to the corner of the room or move to another room but leave the door open and let your friends know they are welcome to come with you. (That's what I did at the grandparents. I was weird about nursing in front of my
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• dad and father in law) YOU will get more comfortable the more you do it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i used my hooter hider for the longest time. s time gies on u will get better at it!!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have a nursing tank top that I wear under my shirt, so tank & bra come down & top shirt go up and get to cover my boob (if Peanut lets me, haha). I got mine at Old Navy, but Target sells them as well. Although, I left the room the first 3-4 weeks of nursing - like amileegirl, I had to be pretty much topless to get the hang of nursing at that point. It gets easier as you continue to nurse, I promise!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i use a cover. or a blanket if someone surprises me and comes ovr unannounced. Sometimes dd won't go for the cover idea though and will try to pull it off and refuses to nurse under it. That happens with older infants, I've heard. It does get easier to nurse with people around, but it's still awkward if someone is staring. Most of it is just finding your way, you need to find what makes you comfortable while nursing. Nursing tops, tanks and covers are all very helpful.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2010