Can I just wet my dogs in the summer days?

to keep them cool I give them water but while I am out there I give them a good soak of water...lol
I can not bring them inside bc our home is too small for them :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Pets

• Pets need exercise even when it is hot, but extra care needs to be taken with older dogs, short-nosed dogs, and those with thick coats. On very hot days, limit exercise to early morning or evening hours. Keep in mind that asphalt gets very hot and can burn your pet's paws. Pets can get sunburned too, and your pet may require sunscreen on his or her nose and ear tips. Pets with light-colored noses or light-colored fur on their ears are particularly vulnerable to sunburn and skin cancer.

Your pet can suffer from heat exhaustion and heat stroke. These conditions are very serious and could cause your pet to die. You should be aware of the signs of heat stress, which could include heavy panting, glazed eyes, a rapid pulse, unsteadiness, a staggering gait, vomiting, or a deep red or purple tongue.

If your pet does become overheated, you need to immediately lower his body temperature. Move your pet into the shade and apply coo
    Anonymous

• So what can you do to keep your dog cool? One important tip is to keep plenty of water on hand; that means two full bowls at all times. That way, if one bowl is knocked over or emptied, fresh water is still available.

Also, be sure your dog has at least one cool, shaded area to escape from the heat. An umbrella, tree or porch can provide respite. If your pet has an outdoor house, check during the hottest times of the day to verify that it is cool for the pet. Don’t take your dog out for walks in the hottest periods of the day; instead, choose the mornings or evenings for exercise.

Despite what you might think, long fur does not necessarily make a dog warmer. The fur can actually insulate the dog and keep it cooler, so trimming fur is not necessary.

It may also be necessary to use sunscreen if your dog’s coat is light in color. Dogs can become sunburned on their noses, ears and other pink areas. You can use human
    Anonymous