What age is appropriate to start to let your daughter call her friends on the phone just to chat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• whenever she ask. I would set a time..maybe give her an hour of phone time each evening after homework and dinner
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My daughter is in first grade and there is a girl in her class that calls often. I think it's a little annoying that the girl keeps calling and calling. Makes me wonder if her parents are even home. I will ask next time she calls. I have let my daughter talk to her a few times, but usually I tell her we are busy. I don't plan on letting my daughter have an hour of calling time each day until she is about 12 and make the occasional chatting phone call at about age 10. Bur for now I don't think it's appropriate for my first grader to be making tons of phone calls.
    Anonymous

• i didnt start talkin on the phone with my friends until grade 6. and even then i was scared to, because i remember overhearing my mom talking about the phone bill...and i thought everytime you were on the phone it cost money..( didnt know she was talking about long distance phone calls) so i always kept my phone conversations extremely short..lol..and i always made sure it was my friends that called me..that way my mom wouldnt get charged..hahah i didnt know better!! but then my mom explained to me that it doesnt cost money for local calls!! whereas my niece..who is 8, talks to her friends on the phone allll the time..so..for my daughter, whenever she decides she wants to, i will let her!! shes 6..and she hates talkin on the phone!!! so..lol..i dunnnnnno when that will be
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• wow, thats weird for a first grader. I dont think i would allow that either. I wouldnt think a child would even be interested until around age 11 or 12
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My 9 year old has a few friends that call him, he cannot talk on the phone after 8:30-9.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have three girls- each one is diffrent. but basically they start to want to chatter about nothing on the phone around 12-ish. Until then they are actually out playing, lol. I just set acceptable time frames and reasonable limits on it to keep the phone from growing into the side of their heads, lol.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2010