How do I safely get rid of my household cleaners?

I want to switch from regular cleaners for more natural homemade cleaners. How do I get rid of my old ones? Also, any 'recipes' for homemade cleaners are appreciated!!

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 5:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Most containers have instructions for what to do with the empty or partially filled container, but you can also call your city or county recycling/solid waste division for help. How you'd get rid of it depends on what it is.
    You may as well use them up, and then just not buy any more, IMO. It's kind of wasteful and also bad for the environment to dump them in the drain or put them in the trash.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• either use up what you have or give it away to someone who will use it. please don't just throw it away. i use this website for my homemade cleaners- http://lorettawallace.net/clean_green.html

MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I took mine to a recycling center in my area.

A good basic all purpose cleaner is: 50-75% water, the rest 25-50% white vinegar.....some add a teaspoon of baking soda, others add a few drops of lemon essential oil.

I use baking soda and water to clean the tub and toilet.

I make our own soaps, you can buy bars of castile soap and find recipes for melting that down and adding things to it to make your own soap, you can just use that bar as is, you can buy glycerine or goats milk melt and pour soap or try cold process. I've done all of this.

I make liquid laundry detergent: 1 bar of grated up ivory soap melted in about half a gallon of water, pour into a large bucket (one with a lid), add 2 cups washing soda (not baking soda, but some use that instead), 2 cups borax, stir, add 2 gallons of warm/hot water and stir. Use 1/4 per load. Stir before each load (it gels on the surface)!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Contact your city's department of the environment.

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2010