Need input from you if you deal with depression or a depressed person.

Background: I see crazy people. Ok my sil and my brother are both mentall ill. Depressed and each deals with it poorly. My brother killed him self--my sil (hub-sis) is a person who hybernates.
So I need to know how to deal with my teen almost 18 who is sad. We have her at a mental health provider. Which wants to do a psych. evaluation. All good.
I don't know how to deal with her or what to say to help her. She is sad,sad,sad. It is not that she is sad about anything. It is the mental illness. She has so many good things that are going on in her life to look foreward to. She can't see that. I try to not be mean but I do not have the skills to help someone who can't help her self. Any thoughts, ideas, comments or things that you know to be helpful?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Health

• Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The only thing more you can do for her is just to keep ensuring her that you love her very much. Unfortunately, until she starts psychological treatment, there isn't much else you can do. My brother was bipolar, and he took his own life last year. There was nothing any of us could do about it because he refused to get himself help and get medicated. He was incredibly intelligent, and incredibly stubborn- he would accept no help. There is only so much you can do for a person, and the rest they need to do for themselves. Hopefully your daughter will get medicated and get a good therapist and can get evened out. Don't let her get down if a med doesn't seem to be helping right. It took me about half a dozen tries to find the right antidepressant for myself.
    Anonymous

• I understand how she feels. I was very depressed as a teenage, but I had underline things that happened to me. A lot of stress and no outlet. Do you know if anything has happened to her? (rape/trauma of some sort) I have mental illness and depression in my family as well. Growing up bad seeds were planted in my head that caused me to be depressed and give up hope. But I think you are doing great by getting her help. Bless you.
    twdivine24

Answer by twdivine24 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Seeing she is seeing mental health provider, make an appointment for YOU to talk to him or her. You need to find ways to deal with all the mental illness in your family. Another thing, STOP calling them crazy. They are not. They have legitamate issues that can be very difficult to deal with. Also, your family members may NOT be dealing with it imporperly, they may have such a bad case of depression or another mental illness that it is hard to get under control. Everyone deals with their issues differently and everyone responds to treatments differenlty. Get educated and be more emphatic to others, NO ONE likes to be called crazy and if your daughter has heard you speak about your family like this, that is just adding to her issues because she could be thinking thats how YOU think of her. Just be there and don't push her to talk.
    Anonymous

• I agree that you shouldn't call people with depression crazy. The way your write about people with depression is so bias against people that happen to have depression. I don't know if there is a word for it. Something like racist only you are expressing those kinds of negative vibes about peole with depression.

People with depression can't help it. They don't want to be depressed. They have chemical imbalances in their brains. That's where drugs can help. But drugs don't make people happy, they only help with the chemical imbalances. It can take several tries to find the right drug and the right dose.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My son has had bipolar disorder, he was diagnosed when he was 11. He had symptoms as early as 2 or 3. He does well with medications and has never had counseling, just drug management. He goes to the community mental health center every 3 months and we talk to them about how he is doing and they refill his meds. When he was young he went to a child psychologist. He made it through the teen years with no suicide attempts, no hospitalizations, no problems with the police, no pregnancies, and he stayed at one job. That is super great for a male teen with bad bipolar disorder.

I went back to grad school to study counseling psychology to help him, it become my doctoral minor. Of course all people can't do that. There are great books on how to improve your life with depression and good web sites.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I may need to clarify.. Saying I see crazy people is not an insult. I am among the nutty ones. I have always been different, I see things differently and react differently. It has taken me 47 years to feel comfortable in my own skin. I would say I see things in a negative way however I am not as depressed as my child. I am just saying that mental problems run on both sides of her genetic make up.
    I don't think of mental issues as a negative thing at all. It is just an illness like any other. I should have said it differently. I honestly love and lost people who have challenges with mental illness. Please don't confuse me for one to be mean I am by no means talking down about it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2010