Need input on depression and how to help my teen.

Background: I see crazy people. Ok my sil and my brother are both mentall ill. Depressed and each deals with it poorly. My brother killed him self--my sil (hub-sis) is a person who hybernates.
So I need to know how to deal with my teen almost 18 who is sad. We have her at a mental health provider. Which wants to do a psych. evaluation. All good.
I don't know how to deal with her or what to say to help her. She is sad,sad,sad. It is not that she is sad about anything. It is the mental illness. She has so many good things that are going on in her life to look foreward to. She can't see that. I try to not be mean but I do not have the skills to help someone who can't help her self. Any thoughts, ideas, comments or things that you know to be helpful?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Be patient, don't push for answers or explanations, hug her and let her know you love her and are there for her, get her involved with family things and don't let her get away with not doing chores like the rest of the family has to, don't let her hide in a "cave" or be alone too, too often, although being alone is sometimes good. Buy her some "alone" and personal items for her to release what is inside of her...a journal and pen, a watercolor paint set, a beginners needlepoint kit, a simple camera, a sketch pad with color pencils or charcoal, or even a calligraphy learners set. Be sure she has a table & chair or desk with chair (preferably in front of her window) in the privacy of her own room. Her creativity may surprise even her.
    {{Hugs}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Being 18 years old is transitional. Think about it for a minute. First off, if she is planning to go to college there is a lot to think about in just that piece. College is a big step. Or going into the world to find a job. Dating is a big deal. Learning to drive is a big deal for a teenager. Maybe you need to just talk to your daughter to help reassure her that whatever she is feeling will correct itself if she opens up and discusses it. Whatever is bothering her may not correct itself right away, but you can help get the ball rolling in the right direction and keep making her feel like her problems are not so big they can't be resolved.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have a daughter who had been through that for several years and is gradually coming out of it. She turned her room into a "cave" by making it so dark you couldn't see a thing unless you turned a light on. I asked her to come along with me to run errands to help get her out of the house, she had chores to do just as her sisters do, she was an exemplary student throughout high school, which confounded her psychiatrist, but we were pleased, and she had been on Wellbutrin for about a year and a half. Sometimes I would have to pick her up from school because she would have breakdowns and anytime she was home she was always in her room with the door shut, the room dark, and in bed.
    Last month, I took down her dark drapes with the excuse that I had to wash them...there is now natural light in her room. I rearranged her furniture so that her bed was opposite the windows so the morning light would naturally wake her. She's improving.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2010