Need some suggestions on a culture/religious clash - what to do?

Have a neighbors who are southeast asian...here's my problem/issue. I work from home for a major large company. I am on the phone with customers throughout the day. My home stays quiet, no one rings my door bell etc. Here's the issue.. in addition to chickens in our shared garage that can be heard, they also do some type of ritual that involves a gong and loud chanting. I don't want to be disrespectful of their beliefs or rituals (whether I believe the same or not etc)... so how do I get them to either stop, move it to another area of their duplex, and/or lower the volume where I can't here it? Most noises I can explain away to my customersbut a clucking chicken and a gong is a little difficult? Any suggestions? Oh, and there is a language barrier.. mom and dad speak no english and daughter is rarely home. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the only thing you can do is called your local police precinct.
    Anonymous

• Wow! I would say the first thing you should do is write them a letter - AND KEEP A COPY! Let them know - nicely - that you work from home and need a quiet area to work from. I would explain to them that while you don't have an issue with their activities you would appreciate that they do things in a quiet manner. If their daughter speaks english I'm sure she will translate, and you need a copy should you need to call the police. Because they aren't really breaking any laws - unless your town has a low tolerance noise ordnance - I would say wait to see if your letter does anything before you call the police. That way you can show the police that you did try other options before calling them...

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• there's VERY few cities and towns anymore that allow poultry and foul (IE chickens) start there..... chickens go bye bye and work on the gong later. police!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I agree, there is usually some sort of law about livestock being kept IN a house and even city zones against having them with in city limits.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I wanted to note here that IF the animals are being used for religious reasons, local animal laws do not apply unless the animals are being abused or neglected prior to their religious uses... It violates the "freedom of religion" laws... So you may want to find that out if you can before you call the police.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My suggestion: Be tolerant, and respectful. You can ask them politely to lower the noise, but you cant control the volume of an animal.

However keep in mind that if the noise is completely due to their religious ritual, then you really DONT have to dictate. Maybe your homes are just too close, maybe they are too loud, maybe you could compromise.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• You didn't say if you work a set schedule... I was just thinking, if you work at set times you could always let them know that... If they know when you need them to be quiet as apposed to just needing them to lower their volume all the time they may be happier to comply... I know if my neighbor said between these hours I'm working and need quiet, I would be happy to comply, but if they just said, hey, you have to keep quiet because I work I would just say "screw em"... So that's an option as well... Give them something to work with instead of just wanting them to bend to fit your needs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I would think that keeping chickens in a built up area (which it sounds like you do) is breaking some bylaws.  As for the gong, if you are in rented accommodations then I would talk to the landlord.  If you are not, then I would leave the daughter a polite letter and then see how it goes from there.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• sugahmamma - i am being tolerant otherwise i wouldn't have asked for suggestions and i would have walked out there during his ceremony and told him to stop. I'm showing my tolerance by asking for some suggestions. I figured since CM is diverse in religion and beliefs I could get some ideas on the best way to handle it. I work set hours every day and if they are making excessive noise it can be disruptive. This is not my only noise issue with them they are loud through out the day but those noises I can explain away such as my office window is close to a school/ street etc and ppl are passing by or standing right outside of it... however a gong and a religious chant and animal noises are not so easy to explain. so trying to be tolerant and respectful due to it is a religious type thing...
    Anonymous

• Try to wait and see if the daughter is going to hellp you out..if that doesnt work call the cops and have them deal with it...
    Anonymous