Is it normal for a 20 month old to not say any words.

It's my nephew and he doesn't talk, he just does a lot of jiberish. He also is extremely tempermental. He screams and cries whenever people are around him. I know a very good developmental doctor and I would like suggest him to my sister inlaw, but I don't want to upset her. If there is something wrong with him, I know early intervestion is the best thing for him. I just need a nice way to mention this to her, without her getting to upset.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 5:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Boys don't talk as much as girls. My niece by this age was talking like a parrot. My son who is 25 months just started talking. We were worried only because I was influence by what other mothers would say here in Cafemom. But he is talking now and a lot.
    Anonymous

• It's more normal for boys than girls. My friend Mary's son did not say a word until he was about 25 months. He is about to turn three & is talking up a storm! Ever day he is saying allkinds of new words & he can speak in full sentences & you can actually conversate with him. He's probably fine, kids just develop different things at different times. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• He screams because he is unable to express his feelings. Toddlers do this by nature. She should call early intervention if the child is unable to use the playground equipment, unable to eat, or refusing food, unable to hold a spoon or a cup. Unable to climb stairs, etc.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you should enlist to spend MORE time with your nephew so you could have a better picture of the "problem".
    Anonymous

• Not being able to say any words and the temper tamtrums could be a sign of autism. Give him a couple more monthes and if he hasn't started talking yet, I would say something. Twenty month olds should be talking.
    Anonymous

• Does the child play with toys appropriately?
    Anonymous

• Does the child enjoy being around other children? (not adults)
    Anonymous

• What happens when your SIL says "stop" to your nephew. Would he stop?
    Anonymous

• I would wonder. My 11 month old says like 8 words?
    Anonymous

• Does the child attracts your SILs attention by looking up at her?
    Anonymous