what's the last thing your child got teased for?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dd is only 4, but she told me a kid at preschool laughed at her for wearing pjs to school. They were not pjs though and she told him off, lol. Even still, she won't wear that outfit anymore . It's really cute leggings and a shirt that has little cats all over it. I feel bad that it starts so young with kids being mean to each other.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• my daughter, 4, has a friend who teased her for wearing so much pink (it's true, head to toe everyday) and even though my son is a very strange little boy, he gets along w/ everyone and I've heard nothing so far. I was talking to his preschool teacher last month, though, and she agrees w/ me he'll likely be picked on for being so feminine later on. (sigh)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• That would be by me for being such as airhead. He is 13 and has a habit of not thinking before he speaks and sometimes sounds like an idiot. I tell him he has "open mouth insert foot" disease.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My 9 year old has a lazy eye just like me, at the end of the school year a kid who he doesn't get along with made fun of his picture on the year book, it really hurt his feelings, he cried about it, I felt bad for him, but unfortunately kids will be kids and some are not taught by their parents not to say mean things to people.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• For being a tomboy. Everyone teases her and tells her she'll become gay.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• When I had my son 5 1/2 years ago I had this insane theory that since our last name is Johnson, he's blond w/ blue eyes, gave him a cool and trendy but not too bizarre name.... if he wore Gap sweaters and Ralph Lauren jeans and he smiled w/ his dimples..... he'd be blessed and entirely guaranteed to be tease free and have a fast track to success in life. Jeez, how much Demerol was in that IV? Kids are cruel, society sucks
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My daughter doesn't share if she gets teased - she's 15 and rolls with the punches pretty well and doesn't take crap from anyone either. She's one of the few female brass players in the band and the only female french horn player. She also has 2 older and 1 younger brother so she gives as good as she gets.

My youngest son was teased for wearing the same shirt in the same week but hey, he had to deal since he didn't wash his clothes - he's almost 13 and we are riding the puberty rollercoaster.

My older 2 don't get teased so much now that they are adults.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The last thing my oldest was teased for before school got out was going to the bathroom, earlier this year he developed GI problems and is seeing a specialist but has to leave class often to use the bathroom, a kid started making fun of him. We knew the parents and a phone call was made and next thing you know the child called my house to apologize to my son, his parents sat him down and explained that my son was sick and making fun of someone for an illness is wrong. The mother was mad because her son had been teased just months before and she was mad that her son would do that.

The only other thing was a girl kept making comments about my sons butt (he is in middle school) I finally told him what to say and the next time she did it right in front of her friends he said "youmust really like my butt to make so many comments, so does this mean you want to go out sometime?" everyone laughed and the girl never commented again.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Hal the battle is teaching our children how to deal with it, the other half is making sure we know what is happening and making sure the right people at the school know. Also knowing the bully rules at the school and what actions can be taken.

I try to teach my son to use his witty comments when he cana nd most times it really works, the other kids dont expect it and it renders them speechless and at the same time shows anyone around that my child is a funny kid :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Being too smart. My son always raised his hand to answer the questions in class. Unfortunately, that doesn't always go over well with othe children in class. I had to tell him to tone it down a bit, so the kids wouldn't tease him.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2010