uuuugggghhhhh! help me please!

my 2 (3 in july)yr old is driving me nuts!!!! all he does is cry or scream and throw tantrums and I don't mean the normal terrible 2 tantrums (I have 2 older kids so I know what those look like) but this is just off the charts! and after he cools down he can be one of the sweetest little boys but those good moments are very rare- plus hes explosive. if he is in a good mood or quiet and one of my older kids mess with him in the slightest way (like saying "hi") he explodes and screams at the top of his lungs. Ive tried everything from time outs, ignoring him, spanking him. please help me!!!!!!! any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I feel your pain :)
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 6:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have a very sensitive and emotional 3 year old.

I haven't found a way to prevent his outbursts yet but a way that has helped getting him to calm down quickly is taking him aside(he gets embarrassed when other people are around which makes him flip out even more) I stay very calm(not without effort) and I raise his arms above his head and tell him to take deep breaths.
    He says he can't and I just keep calmly telling him to breathe and I start taking deep breaths too.
    Once he takes a few deep breaths he is calm again.
    I have no idea why holding his arms above his head works along with the breathing but it does.

The best thing we can do is show them how to calm themselves down. My son has started doing deep breaths without being told to sometimes when he's upset now.
    He is getting better at staying calm and being able to calm himself down.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Wow....I read that there could be a neurological poroblem involved with excessive screaming and tantrums , especially if there doesn't seem to be any real reason, nothing that anyone caused . Maybe you should mention that to your Pediatrician. There can be solutions to these problems. I mnean, if he explodes and screams if someone says something like "Hi' or an innocent word or two, that is unusual and troublesome. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Typical 2 yr. old.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2010