is there a way to get the bank to reverse overdraft charges?

Dh overdrafted a lot this week. He got paid today, and we only have $5 in our account. Five freakin dollars to last us a week. I know the overdraft was his fault, but with so many little $2 charges getting $35 fees tacked on....we're screwed. We have no food, no gas $, no family can help us. My only hope is getting them to reverse some of those....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry a few mom's on here were not very nice to you. There are some banks who will reverse a few of the charges, and some that wont. This happened to me too. I had a 400 dollar check come in. I only work part time but I needed to pay my rent. When I called to check I only had 16 dollars. I had spent money I thought I had when I didn't and paid over 400 in overdraft fees. The bank had doen a one time reverse fee on my account and they couldn't do anymore. I was screwed. Luckly my husband took on my rent that month. But I would call and ask them nicely. Being nice and respectful and giving them the truth always works better then when someone is rude and mean. I really hope things get better and pray that your able to put atleast a little food on your table. I really wish I could help.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I worked at a bank for 2yrs...Honeslty its all who you talk to... Some managers were very reluctant to reverse fees,especially if its not the banks fault...but other people felt bad and would try and reverse SOME fees not all, I actually just had 3 fees reversed for me thru anthoer bank (not the 1 i used to work for) banks make their money off of over draft fees and intrest on loans, so depending on how good or bad that particular bank is doing, will deff. play a role in wheather or not you get your money back...i pray you do, its so easy to overdraw, just keep better track next time..
    Samantha2174

Answer by Samantha2174 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• You can call and jsut ask them nicely. Sometimes they will do it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• They have for us when it was their fault. our statement showed that apparently we went shopping at several stores,and then seconds later apparently went back in and bought the exact same things! They didn't officially say it was their computer's fault,but they removed all doubling of charges and overdraft fees. You may have to beg.
    Anonymous

• They do it for the first or maybe second time, but if you do it frequently they probably won't.

Answer by older at 7:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I don't see them doing that if it was YOUR fault. computer errors-yes (like anonymous :10 double withdrawals for the same items), ID thief or fraud-yes. Your inability to balance a checkbook and keep track of what your are spending-No!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

It's not an inability to balance a checkbook or keep track of spending. He made a mistake. Yes it's his fault. He forgot about some automatic payments we had going through. I guess you've never made a mistake? But, really, thanks....for judging, and kicking me when I'm down. I'm just sitting here trying to figure out how to feed my family.
    Anonymous

• you said he did it multiple times with multiple fees. That would be a major lack of error and communication on your and your husbands part. I would say no, and i honestly hope that they don't because if they do it for one ( who's fault it is in the first place) then they should do it for everyone and then there would be no point in having fees at all. Next time track your financials better.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 7:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• If you don't have a history of overdraft fees they may help you. Go in to the bamk, don't call, trsut me and really it is all who you talk to. I have had fees removed many times at my bank. Just explain your situation. Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• SAHMinIL2, thats just wrong to bash her, shes asking for HELP and if you dnt have anything nice to say keep it 2 when yourself!!!! It happens to all of us, i WORKED for a bank for 2yrs and I overdrew on my acct a few times, and it sucks when you have no other money, especially you have a family to feed
    Anonymous