utilities

so we'll be moving into an apartment with no utilities included, but it's electric heat which is much cheaper than gas heat. my question is will the heat in the winter time just be on the electric bill cause it's electric heat? also since the heat is what heats the water will hot water also just be on the electric bill? and with electric heat how much does it roughly cost per month? my normal electric bill when i was not paying for heat and hot water was about 40 dollars a month. how much more will it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• omg who told you gas was more expensive? I can tell you right now pplan on a couple hundred a month. we live in a duplex that is completely electric and its outrageously expensive. we may have to move because the electric is so high. yes the heat will be on the electric bill, everything run on electric will be.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• wanted to add that you can ask other tenants, or the landlord for an estimate of the other units to compare. I wish I knew ya, and had known you before you agreed to move tot his place, I would have said find another place. not to scare ya'll but that electric is insane, way more than gas hon. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Yes anything electric that is used be it the heat, water heater, dryer, stove, microwave, TV, etc will be on the electric bill!!!

As for what your bills will be like that is totally depended on YOUR personal usage, your electric company rates, and how big your home is.... There is to many factors to determine all of that by some random stranger on the Internet. They can only share what they pay, but even then that might not be anything near what you pay for your location, home size, and electric company rates.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Electric heat and hot water costs more than gas. It will all be on one bill. You might try contacting the electric company to find out what the ave. bills are in your area. You don't say where you live. In Indiana electric heat can be $400 a month in Jan & Feb.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Now that I've share my little tidbit above, I can tell you what my bill is like. I have a 940 sq. ft home. I have a gas stove, gas dryer, and gas water heater. I have well water so I have an electric water pump to pump my water in and a septic tank with a sub-pump that pumps all waste water out. So I have to pay electric to run the water and electric when it goes down the drains. There are 4 of us here. I have ONE bill for BOTH electric and gas. This one bill runs any where from $60-200 per month. The average is about $130. This $130 covers BOTH my electric and gas.

My relatives that live 10 minutes from my home have a totally different company then us! They pay about $200 for their gas bills and about $100 for their electric bills in the winter and in the summer it's the reverse. So they on average pay about $300 a month for their GAS AND electric. That is DOUBLE my bills and like I said they live 10 minutes from my home.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• In my area GAS is way more expensive than electric,, it depends on where you live, the taxes etc,,, I just had my entire house converted to electric,, the best answer I can give you is to ask what the average it in the complex,, we had a water leak and didn't know,, long story short 2 bedroom apt, should cost you on average about 150 in electric during summer and winter,, water about 45 every 2 months,,,enjoy your new home!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The person that told you that is a complete idiot. I have electric and it is about 250-300 a month. It is ridiculous what it costs. Everything runs on electricity and they charge an arm and a leg for it. When we move shortly we will have a gas stove, and dryer and I was told that that would run me 40 every 3 months and that was with a family of 5 using it and we are a family of 3.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The cost is really going depend on many factors such as your personal usage, the electric company you use, and the area you live in. In my area, we have some of the cheapest electric. We live in a 1500 sq. foot condo and our last electric bill for the month of May was $50. During the dead heat of summer, it can get up to $160 a month. If I took the cost of electricity for the whole year it would average about $80-$90 a month. The main reason for that though is because I work days and my husband works nights, so there is always someone at home.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My heat is Gas...during the winter the gas bill is about $100 for our house (our electric bill is about $60 a month), when we had a smaller apartment that was electric heat the electric bill was about $250...almost a hundred dollars more a month.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• eelectric is way expensive whoever told you it wasn't is dumb..Gas is cheaper no matter how you look at it I remember when we lived in a 3 bd apt. we paid $300 per month for electric heat then we moved into a mobile home and it was gas we paid like $150 that's here in Utah! I would probably check my lease is it month to month or a 1 yr ,lease if it's month to month start looking for another place give your landlord a months notice and move out GL:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2010