Why do so many look down on plastic surgery?

We live in a world where if you don't like something in your life you don't have to live with it... Don't like your house? Renovate! Don't like your car? Get a new one! Don't like your hair color? Dye it! Don't like your belly fat? Diet!

So why should our nose, boobs, chin, butt or anything else be different? Isn't it more important that YOU are happy with who you see in the mirror than how you got there?

So what's the big deal? Why do so many look down on plastics? I don't get it! If I had the money, I would be more plastic than Cher! Why is that a bad thing?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Hey I for one thing think that cosmetic surgery is the best invention since the light bulb, I totally agree with you and have indulged myself.

Answer by older at 7:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I think plastic surgery is barbaric. A "doctor" slices into a woman because she's not happy with herself due to the societal norms that have been put in place. She's changing herself not so she will like herself, but so that someone else will find her attractive. She's trying to gain self-worth through a physical appearance. I think those that go for plastic surgery have a lot of self esteem issues that should be addressed by a therapist, not a scalpel.

This DOES NOT include people who have actual medical problems like a cleft pallet, need facial reconstruction or something of the like.
    Anonymous

• I don't necessarily have anything against it, I just wouldn't get it myself. The only problem I have with it is how people will put themselves in danger (all surgeries carry risks) because of something superficial. I also think it's sad that some women get 15 cosmetic surgeries when there are children dying everyday because they can't afford a medically necessary surgery. The world is simply unfair in that way, but what can ya do? My husband is really against plastic surgery, however. He says that the problem is on the inside if people have to have surgery to fix the outside. Not only that, but he thinks the whole plastic looks is hideous, fake boobs included.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Oh, and I wanted to add that your comparison to dieting to reduce fat isn't a very good one. Being overweight actually can adversely affect your health, so dieting and exercising is what you do to keep yourself healthy. Having fake tits won't keep your cholesterol down. Having botox (a freaking TOXIN) injected into your face won't stop you from having a heart attack.
    Anonymous

• because she's not happy with herself due to the societal norms that have been put in place. She's changing herself not so she will like herself, but so that someone else will find her attractive

Quite an assumption. People have plastic surgery for lots of different reasons. I would love to have my tummy done because I miss the way my old pre-baby body felt. Nobody but my husband (who doesn't care) sees my belly, but it would make ME happy. I would also like to have my nose done because my nose reminds me of my mother and I wish I could change that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Oh and Sabrina, I agree with you. I will likely have plastic surgery some time in the future. I guess I'm really only waiting because the anesthetic scares me. I want to wait until my kids are a little older, just on the slim chance that something bad happens.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My only problem with plastic surgery is that it almost always leads to wanting MORE! I had my thighs lipo'd and my boobs done last year(went from a B to a DD), now I want a tummy tuck and to 'upgrade' the boobs another 200ccs.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 8:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I can see your point. And some people look magnificient for doing so. If it makes them feel better and they have the money to do the procedure, then why not. Of course, we know all surgical procedures come with risk.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• There is an extreme to everything. My SIL wore an A cup bra since she developed. She got a boob job because she hated not having breast. I had twins and got really big real fast, then lost it all. I now have the extra skin. Damn straight I would a tummy tuck.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My only issue is when people start to tell other people they need surgery to fix themselves, or when they believe having plastic surgery is risk free and then tell others it is risk free.

I don't know that I'd get plastic surgery. I hate my tummy, but am terrified of another abdominal surgery. After my last, I had a bad infection...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2010