Nap question,,,,going to Kindergarten next year nees some help Mammas!

Okay DS is off to kindergarten and they have "rest time" but only for about 30 minutes,,, I am a BIG advocate of sleep,, anyhoo,,, we have tried to go with out a nap for 2 days,, well here he is asleep,,, any advice? He fell asleep in the car after we went to the store (I have been cutting his naps down by 15 minutes per day) He won't be able to sleep at K--so I need to know what to do! Love your advice and do appreciate it!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 7:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So much stimulation will be taking place at kindergarten that he may not want to nap as much so not to miss out on anything. I wouldnt worry about it. Now when he gets home from school, he may crash on you. I hope he has a good time at school. That is all new and exciting for him!

And Gaill, most states require that if a child is under a certain age and attend school for X amount of hours, they are required to do at least a 30 min rest time...It is the child's choice if he or she chooses to sleep during that rest time.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• deep breath mom, its ok ...lol. basically he will adjust. think about it, allt he activities, the fun the things to do, he wont want to nap. is he gonna be a crab, oh heck yeah lol but he will adjust. dont worry for now about cutting his naps down, let him sleep while he can and let his own body adjust. he will be fine mom. :) promise.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'm surprised they have any rest time at all. He may not be readly for K. Some boys start a year late. That can put them at an advantage all through school of being a year older. The only problem is it will seem like they have to go to high school a year longer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• wow, my daughter stopped napping at 18 months..so, i dont know what to tell yaa. can you try keeping him up later at night, so he sleeps in later, that way he might not need a nap?? or if he does fall asleep, just wake him up!! keep him busy busy busy!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• He is READY for kindergarten,, with the exception of the nap issue,,, he can read and count and wants to go more than anything!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I don't have any advice, just wanted to say you're not alone in this area. I'll be looking at your answers for my soon-to-be-kindergartener.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I went through this with my daughter and will be again this year with my son. I gave my daughter naps after school. I volunteered in the classroom and lots of kids would fall asleep during the rest period and the teacher would let them sleep until that time was over (head down on the desk). My kids are 5 & 7 and they still take naps, especially on the weekends, they play hard and they need the extra rest.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• what's his beditme?
    Anonymous

• My daughter is in the same boat. I think he'll adjust when it's time. You'll just be putting him to bed very early. I'm not stopping my daughter's naps. I know she CAN go without one, but she does much better with one. So - we'll adjust when school starts. Don't stress yourself out. It'll all work out!
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I'm sure the teachers are used to kids that are like that and will help him adjust to a short nap time. I'm actually kind of surprised they even have nap time.
    My kids kindergarten was full day and they had 20 minutes of quiet time and that was it. The kids could put their heads down on the tables and sleep if they wanted but there was no nap time. My middle daughter was still taking nearly regular naps when she started kindergarten and she said the first 2 weeks she kept falling asleep in class (after quiet time) because she wasn't used to it. A couple months later she was adjusted but would come home tired and have to take a nap after school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:01 AM on Jun. 12, 2010