will they go after her landlord, or her?

I have a client who has a huge electric bill, close to 1000$. she is considering letting the company turn it off, and then her fiancee will have it turned on in his name. I am trying to find out if the electric comp will go after her or the landlord for the money owed? I know when you get the utility, they go by your social security number, so I believe it would go on her credit but not sure.
anyone know? and btw, not interested if you agrree with her or not, just wondering about who they will go after so she is aware of her options. thanks all. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• The will go after her, it is her usage.

Answer by older at 8:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Here they go after the tenant for gas/electric,water they go after the landlord because shutting off the water is against the law (WI)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Her, usually. At the apartments I live in if your lights are disconnected the bill gets transferred into their name and they charge you way more than the light company. But, her fiancee will have to be on the lease to have the lights turned on. If it is a local light company they will probably take her to court, put a lien on anything that is in her name or garnish her check.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• They will go after her, when the central air racked up a $2000 electric bill in a house i rented because it broke I had to pay the bill even though it wasnt my useage or fault, the account was in my name and that was all that mattered. The landlord did however give me a whopping $200 towards it. My regular usage was about $150 in the summer and $60 in the winter.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'm pretty sure they won't turn it on at that residence if the bill is unpaid for it....but you would have to check with your company.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• If the electric is in HER name then they will go after her, especially if the lease specifically says she is to pay for it. I am a landlord and have had several tenants end up with their electric being shut off. If it gets shut off and they attempt to turn it back on under a different name the electric company (at least ours does) WILL call the landlord and ask if a NEW tenant is there because if it is still the old tenant (just a new name) then they WILL NOT turn it on and they also want to see a copy of the lease to verify that it does not have the old tenants name on it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• They go after her! I'm a landlord and the last tenant didn't pay his bills and when the new tenant moved in that's when I was informed but it was the tenant they went after. In IL
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 11:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• They go after who ever is on the bill. Sinc sh is the one getting it I assume that she is the one that is suppose to pay for it and it is in her name. So no this will not go back on the landlord.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• They will go after HER, it is HER bill not her landlords.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• who's name is the bill in now? hers? that's who they will go after. Why doesn't she just call the electric co and ask for a payment plan? That's better than not working with them at all and getting more into the whole. I hope it works out.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 7:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2010