What table foods should i start with?

She's 8 months old and has mastered finger foods with only two teeth. The pedi said we can start table foods as long as we dont add seasoning and extras to whatever she eats. But I'm not really sure what to start with, any ideas?

BobbieJean03

Asked by BobbieJean03 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• whats the rush?
    i started with mashed potatoes, speggati, pastina, bread dipped in something, cheese, little pieces of fruit
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• With my son he was eating table food, what ever we ate, seasoning and all, by 10 months. He never had any problems. I wanted him to get used to what we ate. YOu know the flavors that we used so the only thing he didn't get was spicy stuff. He at stew, spaghetti, taco meat and corn tortillas, chicken and rice... you name it! Just keep in mind that at 8 months breast milk/ formula is still the main source of nutrition so not to much. I know it's fun having baby at the table with you though! I was so excited when our guy got to join us at meals. My daughter started foods much later though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• All 4 of mine were on table foods by 8 months, eating whatever we ate. So they started with whatever we were eating that night - I don't really remember what the first thing was that they ate. My youngest is 18 months and there still isn't anything he's turned his nose up at. I think introducing a wide variety of foods early discourages picky eaters.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• We started with pasta, soft cheeses, bread with cream cheese, berries and other chopped (diced) soft non-citrus fruits.

Just make sure you don't give her two new things at once. One new food per week so that you can watch for allergic reactions.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

Try avocado, baked sweet potato, peeled bits of grapes, brown rice, quinoa

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2010