I want to go back to breast feeding...

My daughter is 7 weeks old. She was born a month early & then lost too much weight too quickly so when we were in the hospital she had to be fed formula to get her weight back up. So she's been taking bottles & would never latch on. I was pumping & giving her the milk in a bottle, but I'm not producing as much milk now, & she's been getting very gassy now with mainly formula. So I would like to try to get her to start breast feeding. But I'm not sure how to get her to latch on now, & how to get my milk supply back up. Anyone done this before, or have any tips?

navywifey113

Asked by navywifey113 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1. WATER LOTSOF IT!! DRINK AND DRINK 64 OZ DAILY ANY KIND OF LIQUID IS FINE NO ALCHOL OR CAFFEINE
    2. PUT BABY TO BREATS. AS MUCH AS YOU CAN
    3. PUMP PUMP PUMP EVERY 2 HRS
    4. GET MOTHERS MILK TEA OR FERNUGREEK
    5. OATMEAL ONE BOWL A DAY
    6. CONTACT LA LECHE LEAGUE
    7. DONT GIVE UP!!

BY THE WAY I PUMP FOR DS 11 MTS
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• if you can, take AT LEAST a day or 2 of just lying in bed with baby... relax skin to skin... no shirt... offer the breast often, and before giving formula... you can try to pump whenever she's not nursing, as well... maybe?
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• look into a supplemental nursing system. They can be great for situations like your where the baby needs to 'learn' to nurse and still get the milk she needs.  a lactation consultant would also be helpful for you.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Ditto to above also;   www.kellymom.com  and   www.drjacknewman.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Sorry and one more: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

It makes me SOO mad at how many hospitals don't help the mother pump to give the baby milk which has more weight gaining abilities than any formula on the market.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• what stores carry mothers milk tea? & also do stores carry a supplement nursing system or is that one of those things you have to order online? thank you!
    navywifey113

Answer by navywifey113 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The supplemental nursing systems work great! The lactation consultant at the hospital got me started with one right away when we realized that nursing might be difficult for me after my 4th due to severe anemia. It's a little bit of a hassle to use, but definitely worth it and I only needed it for a couple weeks until my supply was well established. I'm not sure if you can get them at stores, but any lactation consultant (at the hospital where you delivered, or La Leche League) should be able to point you in the right direction.

Answer by missanc at 10:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• You can buy an SNS at a lactation consultants office that also has a store. Like PP said, contact somebody who can tell you where to go.

Poster #1 pretty much said it.

I would also recommend trying a nipple shield to see if she will latch- it feels more like a bottle and offers them more to latch on to. It is something that you can easily get rid of later, and it is definitely worth a try.

Also, above fenugreek or mother's milk tea, I would recommend More Milk Plus....you can find it in capsule form (tinctures taste awful!) at a local health food store or online.

If worse comes to worse, there are prescription drugs that a physician can prescribe....but that is a last resort and I'm sure that if you do everything that we have all said, you will have your daughter latching and your milk supply up in no time!

Best of you and good for you for making this decision!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• (con't) My son was born 16 weeks premature and was in the hospital for 16 weeks.

He came home requiring fortifier for the first 6 weeks, which meant bottles for 5-6 feedings per day. He came home still refusing to latch without a nipple shield.

I pumped and pumped pretty much exclusively for those 16 weeks, and let me tell you did I have supply problems more than once during those 4 months. And latchinng difficulty. I always got through it, and my son has never had formula.

He came home 8 weeks ago and I have a full supply, and he is breastfeeding full time without a nipple shield!

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Poster #1 has excellent advice... You Rock for giving it your all!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010