I can't believe Congress passed this!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/11/1675995/floridas-crist-vetoes-ultrasound.html#storylink=fbuser

Thank God Crist vetoed it.

Is there a website where I can see exactly which congressmen voted for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This link has what you're looking for:

http://www.flfamily.org/legislative.php?id=1

Second header. Then click on the vote totals from the House and the Senate to see which members voted "yea" or "nay."

If you have the Bill number in this case #1143, you can just do a Google search for the Bill's "roll call" or vote count.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• If someone is "pro-choice" what would they have against a woman being fully educated about the choice she's about to make. How can a woman really make a decision if she's doing so in ignorance?

...not to mention the ultrasound lets the doc confirm fetal age to ensure the legality of the procedure.

Anonymous

• Anon - there's much more to this bill than simply an ultrasound.

It forbids any insurance company rec'ing supplemental funds from the government to provide coverage for abortions. For many this is a big problem. I see both sides of this argument. I get both sides. TO be honest, though, I take issue with the government restricting what can and can not be covered by health insurance. how can one be against the tenets of health care reform that put HC and insurance in some DC bureaucrats hands and then turn around and want to influence what can and can not be covered by saying "if you use tax dollars you can't provide this service." it seems quite hypocritical to me.

Anonymous

• I'm against Abortions, But I'm also against the Government telling me what I can do and do with my body
    .
    Education would reduce Abortions, . If we just educate our young women and tell them the truth that is is a baby you are killing, not a fetus or a seed. The baby is alive in side you. Ultrasound it a good thing to have before you get abortion.

You should pay for your own abortion, take responsibility for your action.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I agree with gammie mostly - I am totally pro-choice; but if that's your choice then you have to be able to support it yourself and not expect someone else to do so. (minus the father/or in rare ER situations before someone jumps my a**)

I thought they always do an ultrasound during/before the procedure but perhaps it's after the woman is already under anesthesia?

Aside from the additional items attached to this bill; one mentioned above; how to you 'force' a woman to view an ultrasound if she doesn't want to. That's ordering a Dr to go against their patients wishes...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I think that our present abortion regulations are way too lenient. There should be more restrictions on them, and parental consent should be mandatory in every state. Why is it so horrible to see an ultrasound before you proceed to kill your baby? Afraid that some girls will change their minds about having an abortion? Evidently, Crist is not as pro-family/pro-life as he was when he was a Republican. So odd, how the values change with the party.

I have no problem with private insurers offering this horrible option, that is why it is PRIVATE insurance. Those who live a lifestyle which would lead them to avail themselves of this "service" can pay for it through their premiums. And if you don't choose that particular plan, well, then you get to pay for it all by yourself! And taxpayer dollars do not need to be funding this procedure, in any way, shape, or form.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• The problem with the "lifestyle' argument is you assume everyone seeking this procedure does because they made a choice to have sex and found themselves with an unwanted pregnancy.

What about the woman who is pregnant and discovers she has cancer. I've known several in this position. some opt to go through pregnancy and hope they can start treatments post-delivery and it won't be too late. Others opt to terminate and start chemo/radiation ASAP. Should those women have to pay for their own too?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Abortion is a medical (many times elective) procedure. I think the patient should be fully informed of the procedure. I think the problem is that those who try to push the , it is JUST a fetus~ were banking on the 'out of sight, out of mind' rationale. If you give some as little info as possible and avoid all the fact~ they don't have to question the complexity of the 'just a fetus'..jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Ahh good for them . We passed this in TX recently also. It's a good thing. You would probably be surprised how many young women don't have a clue what a baby looks like in utero or happens in an abortion. Libs want schools to be able to teach kids how to put a condom on a banana but they don't want them to know about the developement of a fetus and the abortion procedure? This is a GOOD thing.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• itsmesteph you missed the part that the Gov vetoed it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2010