Cloth diapers

Okay I'm wondering about these I want to try them, but am not sure about them. With the ones that you use the safety ps , and rubber pants, how are those vs the "new" versions of the cloth diapers? I want to do this but can't really afford a bunch or any really of the "new" super cute ones right now, but would still like to do the old school ones, and with what I save in ONE month in disposables I could buy a whole lot of the cute ones. Any help would be wonderful!!! Not to mention its so much better for the earth<3!!!

MizMzBowz

Asked by MizMzBowz at 8:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the "old ones:" you speak of are prefolds.

The new ones come in many different variations. i prefer All In One diapers.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Btw, I've never used prefolds, so I wouldn't know. They are much cheaper, though! I love my aio diapers. I get mine from etsy.
    babycakes254

• I actually just switched from using one of the "newer" type cloth diapers to prefolds and covers because I decided that's what I prefer. I really love these covers: http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/StayDryCover.htm  She sells lots on eBay under the name fantastic_fiesta you might be able to get a lot cheaper there.  I would suggest snappis over pins, they're easier to use and you don't have to worry about pricking baby.  If you have any questions feel free to send me a message =)

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Actually, the old ones are flats. I just ordered some flats from Little Lions and love them. I'm actually thinking of getting a few more and selling the prefolds I have. Thirsties make a nice cover.
    KathrynJL

Answer by KathrynJL at 9:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The old fashioned ones are flats--the grandmammy of burp cloths. They need folding. One size from birth. You can use a snappi instead of pins. Little-lions has wonderful unbleached ones. I have 3 dozen.

Prefold are a step up from flats they don't need as much folding, they dry fast but not as fast as flats. I like indian prefolds. I have 3 dozen infant size and the still fit my 9 month old. I had to use a smaller size hor 3 monthas because my baby was slender but they can be used as an insert for more absorbancy later if I want. I have 3 dozen each. When she outgrows the prefolds I'll use the flats.

I like thirsties covers the best because of the leg gussets. I started with 3 extra smalls and 1 size one duo wrap, then worked my way up to 4 Size 2 duo wraps. Four is a nice number for a thirsties cover. I just got two more because they have prints now and they were cute.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I just bought a pack of the old school ones today. I actually don't have any covers for them. But my son is 8 months old and so I put my older sons training underware over the cloth diaper. I had a hard time getting them tight with safety pins but with practice it'll get easier. I bought what was at Walmart because that is all that is available where I live. I would have to research all the other ones before I make a decision. However at night time I am using regular diapers.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I just looked on a few sites after googling it. I think what I am going to order are the ones from Land Of Nod. They aren't snaps but rather the velcro, more like a regular disposable diaper. Good luck!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• We use prefolds from www.diaperjunction.com and Thirsties covers when at home. I LOVE Thirsties covers. I use a snappi rather than diaper pins. I tried using diaper pins once but I was too scared of poking either myself or my daughter, so I just keep using the snappi, which is really easy to use. I slowly started buying pocket diapers to use when we are out and about. I started with 2 Fuzzi Bunz, 2 Bum Genius, and 2 from a WAHM - all one sized. I liked the Fuzzi Bunz and the ones from the WAHM and slowly added more to our stash, so now we have 12 pockets. I like using the pockets when out because they are super easy to use. The prefolds and covers are easy to use once we got the hang of it, but they are still not as easy as the pockets. Especially now that she is such a wiggle worm.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I meant to say that I liked the Fuzzi Bunz and the ones from the WAHM best. There's nothing wrong with the Bum Genius ones, I just find the the other two to be more trim and I don't like the velcro on them as much. But as far as leaks go, I've never had a problem and really that is the most important thing in my mind. We used to use disposables when we went anywhere but after poo blowout after poo blowout, that is when I started adding the pockets and we ditched disposables altogether.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010