Texture problems when eating

Anytime my 11.5 month old son has anything but crunchy, or bread-like textures in his mouth, he gags and alot of the time vomits. He wants them so badly, especially at dinner time and he sees what we're eating, but as soon as it hits his tongue, the gagging starts. I've tried making pieces so absolutely tiny that he'd pretty much just get a taste, and he still gags. He is perfect with anything crunchy like the Gerber Puffs, Dippers, even cookies and breads. I've tried the carrot pieces, I've tried mashing bananas, mashed peas from my plate, an itty, bitty piece of turkey (he promptly vomited everywhere).

Has anyone else experienced this? He will be going to the doctor soon, but I wanted to get your opinions on it. He's certainly in no danger of being underweight, considering he's about 26 pounds! Please let me know of any experiences with this or any words of wisdom. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All of my kiddos had problems with bread as well. Try changing texture of the food. for example, my kids would never eat smashed peas, they'd eat them whole. I used to smash bread down, so it wasn't so spongy, and they'll eat it that way. Eventually they overlook the textures and will eat whatever because of the taste. My daughter was almost 2 by the time she would eat bread normally, without smashing it down.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• bread is difficulot for them to eat, stick with maybe whole grain pasta? fruits and veggies that aren't pureed but that can be picked up, like melons, apples, avocado, peas etc. for now, and be patient.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• OP here, maybe I wrote something incorrectly. Let me clarify: breads and crunchy things are fine. Soft textures, squishy textures are the problem. Pasta is a huge vomit-inducer as are un-pureed veggies and fruit. He is just so interested in them, but just can't get it past the tongue!
    Anonymous

• You didn't write anything wrong. Maybe because he has more time to mash/chew the harder things in his mouth he isn't getting that "gag" reflex...is that what is happening? Hard to say. I hope a pediatrician can help. Is this a new thing or has it been a problem since he was started on baby food? I wonder if he is doing something wrong with his tongue with the soft foods. Like maybe he is distracted with the hard foods, chewing them and feeling them, that when the soft pureed foods are in his mouth he is getting a different sensation. I hope that makes sense. Good luck dear!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• He might not like the texture of them maybe thats why he vomits. He may be interested in them unitl he gets it into to his mouth, maybe the mushy texture makes him reject it. It may taste fine but I think the texture digusts him and just makes it impossible for him to eat it . I kinda know how he feels. I hate to eat thngs like jello because the jiggly texture in my mouth makes me want to throw up. I think you should stick with crunchy stuff until his doc appt.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Do you try the things that have previously made him vomit later? When my daughter tries something with a new texture she tends to not chew it up all the way and then it's like it gets in her throat and she will eat more of it, but then after a few bites, it all comes back up. Then a couple of days or a week or so later, I will try the food again, and she'll be fine. She really started doing this more once we stopped giving her pureed foods and started giving her more regular foods just cut up into small pieces.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• it could be reflux..my last 2 had it..my 5 yr old had no prob as infant..but when it came down to eatin toddler foods he couldn't eat it..he could only do spaghetti,noodles,mashed potatoes,etc..anything soft..i had to take him to ENT..It affect speech an language..my dd she had the prob sin birth..reflux was so bad it made her gag on just simple feedings of infant milk..it also gave her asthma..she just turned 2 an still can't really eat any thing unless its soft..she also goes to ENT..she also has speech an language delay..usu if they have gag reflux prob u tell doc bout it they send them to ENT specialist..once it was diagn in my children they sent them to early intervention where they worked on jaw muscles to help them eat,talk,an speak..also it could be a inner ear prob..that 1 of the prob my 5yr ds had that went undiagn..i would talk to doc bout goin to a ENT..b presistent bout it..cuz i had to..it was worth it
    TOMBOI

Answer by TOMBOI at 4:29 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• sorry but join the club my ds has been like that since he was a baby he's now 7 and still has texture problems makes for a VERY picky eater!!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2010