I think my son is allergic to Red dye #40, i'm not sure because i havn't really tracked down what i think it is, but when he eats certain things his face breaks out all red...Can i go to a doctor to get him tested? Or is there no real way of knowing?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 10:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know if they can test for it, but you can at home. Just don't give him anything with red dye# 40 then the next day give him something with it in it. Good luck I hope you find out what's causing this.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• sorry i meant i havn't tracked down the actual ingredient that makes him break out, but i THINK its the red dye #40..
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 10:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• How did you come up with that?? (not saying you are wrong, just a weird one to think about)
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I would just cut it out for awhile and see if that helps. Also keep a food journal and track when you see the redness. Maybe you will find it is something else.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Is it just red and a little (emphasis on little) swelling? My daughter gets that with ranch dressing. I think it's not really an allergy, just more like their skin is sensitive to it. Relax mama, if it doesn't seem to be hurting him or messing with his insides, I think its all good. Just keep him away from it for a while.

IF it is an allergy you can test it by not giving it to him for like a week and then give him some and monitor him for the next three days. No reaction=no prob. If there is one you can always talk to the doc (be sure to take and bring pictures of the reaction).
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Cut out all artificial colors and flavors.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2010