Help!! My 16 month old is so clingy it's driving me crazy!

I am a single mom of 2 kids who keep me very busy. Lately my 16 month old is ALWAYS hanging on me and whining if he's not being held. It's enough to drive a person insane. Any tips on getting him to be more independent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 1 year old is like that ... i know how you feel. she is a perfect angel until i get home and then from then on ... it's screaming and crying and wanting to be held .. i can't even go pee without her screaming at me .. if you have any tips, please share them with me.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• This is a good time to remind yourself that when he's 16 years old, he'll probably way more distant from you than you want, so despite the frustration, try to enjoy the snuggles while he's still willing. 

But anyway, you can always try getting him to do something fun (maybe coloring; just something he likes) while you do an activity very close by that reassures him that you're there and supportive even when not holding him. 

Good luck.

Anonymous

• put the lil fuckers in their cribs and let em cry it out !
    Anonymous

• OP Here- I wish I could just enjoy it but I also have a 1 month old who cries the second she's put down.
    Anonymous

• outside also makes a great nursery
    Anonymous

• The trolls are out tonight,
    Anonymous

• the way to raise an independant child is to meet their needs, even if it means just holding them at this stage (thats normal behavoir for a 16 month old btw), and allowing them to be dependant on you, that gives them security, trust and builds theif confidence to be independant later. I know its hard work now, but its all worth it!!!!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My doctor just tells me it is a good thing and it is one thing she looks for at this age. Like all phases...This too shall pass.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I think i'm with OP on this one - I hope it passes, I try not to get frustrated, but sometimes I just gotta pee - lol.

I have to admit, I give in .. I love her and I love that she wants me to snuggle her .. but sometimes I just get frustrated.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I just make my daughter walk everywhere, lol. Then again that's kind of how its always been since she could toddle. At 16 months she wont hardly LET me hold her and I'm very glad for it lol.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2010