I'm thinking about moving into my car

Yes, I'm thinking about becoming homeless. Reason why, I have been laid off since November. I have been very dedicated in looking for work. The last job that I went through the entire interview process (and waited for 3 weeks) just told me that they hired internally. I have been living with my mother to find work. But because I have been dependent on her, she seems like she has lost respect for me. I am 42 and my mother orders my around like a small child and continuously berates me. She has even said that she has more respect for my younger sister who has been employed for six years. Also, just recently my sister said that she likes my ex very well (my sister knows that he has called my every name in the book). My dad has rejected me when I tried to reconcile with him. I feel sooo invisible and disrespected by my family. How can I deal with this rejection from my family?

Thanks in advance,
Wanting to be homeless

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm sorry for your situation. And as depressing as it seems, staying with your mom will not be worse than being homeless. Apply for every job you can find, even if it's at McDonalds until you can find something within your specialty just so you can save up some money and get out of there.
    Anonymous

• depending on where you live this could be very dangerous. i sure as hell would not do it where i live.
    Anonymous

• simple frownI don't have an answer to your question. I'm sorry your are going through this.

Anonymous

• I think it would do you well to find some type of counseling program. There are low cost or free counseling available through state run programs. Living in your car is not only dangerous, but a horrible way to live. My heart goes out to you tonight. If you belong to a church, or even if you dont belong to a church, check with one to see if there is help available through them. Good luck and stay safe.
    Anonymous

•  Have a good nights sleep. Things will look better tomorrow.

Anonymous

• Hun, there are other ways than becoming homeless to finding help. Check your local welfare offices and unemployment offices. They can help you try to restart your life. It may mean another few months with your mom, but it's better than trying to go job hunting when you can't even find a place to take a shower.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Use the 24 hour rule. Don't make any decisions with out thinking it out for 24 hours. I would start to put your mom down, but that is not helpful. I am furious that she can not be more supportive than that.
    This is a difficult time for every sector of the work force. I am so sorry your having to deal with this. Please try other options before becoming homeless. It will make it more difficult to get a job with no perminate address.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Think of everything you won't have.. you won't have a sink to just grab a cup of water from, no way to cook food, no way to shower, no place to go to the bathroom. Sure you can sleep there, and get take out food to eat in there, but that's about the extent of it. It also puts you at a high risk of not finding a job because you won't have the proper hygiene they will look for when going to interviews.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I see all these things as great opportunities to see what life really has in store for you. I think it's exciting to think you will throw off all the emotional baggage that can encumber you and find your true path in life. You don't have to do it in a car though. Apply for govt housing and find independence from your mom. Once that is done then take the next step and then the next step to get your life back and even better than it was before. Your dad is a jerk. He is missing out and it's his issue but don't make it your's. If your sis likes you ex then tell her she can have him. As for mom, tell her that you respect her so you'd like for her to show you the same courtesy at least until you can get out of her door. You can do this. Just rest a bit and then when you are ready for the challenge get up and tell the world to watch out bc you are coming and nothing will stop you! Then you go, girl!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• This reminds me of a coworker I once had...she couldn't live with her parents because it just was not a good place to be, she preferred her car, I felt so bad for her that her life at 40 was better to be left to live out of a car...well she saved up her paychecks and flew to Hawaii to live. I don't know if living in a car is the answer but you do what you have to and sleep in safe places like truck stops. Is there a place you can call for resources? like a community center or United way, Lutheren Social services
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2010