Is it normal for kids, especially boys, to ALWAYS have scrapes, cuts, brusies, and bumps?

I have two boys and they are constantly doing something to get themselves hurt or hurt each other. I'm worried someone is going to think I beat my kids, seriously!

Just this morning, my son (almost two) fell off the bed and hit his face on the laundry basket and believe it or not, has a bruise by his eye and on his cheek. Four days ago, his brother hit him in the head with a toy car and he has a cut above his eyebrow.

Does it ever get any better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL - mine are 7 & 10, and they are full of bruises too.....mostly the 7-yr' old...he is just a boo-boo magnet -- he has, at least 10 bruises on both legs, from wearing shorts to the playground these past 2-3 weeks.... :-))))

So far no one has called cps on us or thought it was strange, so I think you can relax :-D
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• P.S. As for it getting better, I have to say it doesn't look like it - it's always something, and some boys are curious and fearless :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Mine are the same way and I have thought the same thing about people thinking that. Plus my oldest has really sensitive skin so even if I pick him up when he isn't wearing a shirt you can see my hand prints on him for like 10 minutes! Also sometimes he forgets how to walk or doesn't look where he's going and gets hurt. lol 16 month olds what can I say!! My other is only 3 months but I can only imagine what it's gonna be like in my house with these two boys so close in age.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• When my daughter was two I asked her doc a similar question... her answer.. "I'd worry if she didn't have a few dings because that would mean she wasn't very active." I thought that was about right! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My daughter is 14 months old and she always has a scraped knee or a bruise somewhere. She is my little daredevil, she's completely fearless. And I mean FEARLESS! We went to Busch Gardens and the Tiger pounced at her through the glass and she laughed and said kitty kitty!

When I was younger (teens) I played volleyball and soccer and was always covered in bruises, and they were BAD. I was the soccer goalie and I would dive anywhere to save a volleyball. I was pulled aside more times than I could count and asked if I had "problems" at home. I was also accused of hurting myself!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Hyland's has a bumps and bruises ointment (stick) that can reduce the potential for a nasty mark if used right away.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Good to know I'm not alone. I mean in this day and age, anything is possible and I don't want someone accusing me of something I'm not capable of and then my boys being taken from me and really put into a bad situation. I live in Oklahoma and I'm constantly hearing on the news about how kids die in foster care. It scares the living daylights out of me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Its called "age appropriate brusing" thats what my doc called it anyways. I ask too.

Currently my son had, Knot on his head from falling off a stool, scratched up arms from picking up a kitten, splinter in his palms his dad had to dig out, cut on his finger from something (not sure), and he stepped on a nail to day so he's got that too.

Kids are just rough.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I have a four almost five year old and his legs look soo beat up that I worry when he goes to his bio's dad that he is going to think I beat him. But I know that they are from him running around or riding his bike and falling. I just worry because his bio dad has three girls and that when he see's his one son he is going to wonder what I do to him. But from my experience it is completely normal.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• when me and my husband had our son, I already had 3 kids from my last marriage...and when our son was always hurting himself my husband would get to MAD!! I had to tell him to chill kids get hurt! and I want my boy to be a rough and tumble kinda kid, well I want them all to be rough and tumble kids. like one poster said, she asked her dr. and he said he would worry if there wasn't any bruises.....just like my son, his legs are full of bruises, it looks like somebody kicks him on a regular basis, but no...he is just active
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2010