Would you let your two year sleep on a mattress on the floor?

My two year old likes to jump in his bed. He has a convertible crib that is currently being used as a toddler bed. When he jumps, I pull him down and tell him that he can get hurt if he falls. Also, his bed can't take much more abuse and I'm worried that if he continues to jump, he'll break the mattress frame and then his bed is junk.

The only solution I've come up with is putting his mattress on the floor so when he jumps, he doesn't have far to fall and his bed gets a vacation. I'm afraid that it would be bad on his back and that I'd feel like a bad mom if I did put his mattress on the floor!

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope....I felt like trash when i did it so We went and bought a bed lol.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My thought for when my 2nd baby needs the crib I would buy my toddler a twin bed and put that on the floor (box spring and mattress with no frame. I think just the crib mattress alone might be uncomforable, but I don't think it's wrong. My son sleeps in the weirdest positions anyway... I wouldn't be worried about his back.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Don't worry about his back, babies used to sleep on rocks lol. He'll be perfectly comfortable.

It's a good solution, I'd definately do it. I bought a twin bed and wasn't going to buy a frame for it, but my mother (who paid for more than half of it) insisted lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i wouldnt fell like a bad mom! my boys sleep on the floor sometimes. i would buy a toddler bed only if u can afford it.
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 12:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• buy him a mini trampoline instead?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• no, you won't hurt his back, it's little different than a box string would be in a regular bed (the floor that is). Really the box spring is just there to add support to keep the regular mattress flat (which is exactly what your floor would be doing). So no, it's not going to hurt him to ditch the toddler bed.

However there are other solutions as well you can try to make it a little more decorative if that is another worry of yours: for about 70.00 you can just buy him a new toddler bed. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sesame-Street-Elmo-Toddler-Bed-and-Toddler-Bedding-Set-Value-Bundle/13012956 (just one example, obviously there are thousands of other options and looks)

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• um, i have no bed frames in my house, not by choice we just never bought any, lol
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• my son switched to a twin bed when he turned one since he would never sleep in his crib and we decided to kick him out of our bed but wanted to be able to lay with him until he fell asleep. lol. I was worried about a bed being too high and all the places his head could get stuck so we never got him one. That was a year ago though, its probably time now that I think of it.
    His bed is a mattress on a box spring on the floor. Dont see what good a bed would do, not to mention sleeping on hard surfaces is supposed to be better for your back anyway.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:06 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• This is what we did when my daughter started using her bed a as a trampoline/vault, we had abed frame but didn't set it up until we were sure she wouldn't be falling out of it. She thought it was fun and it didn't hurt her at all, the floor does the same thing as a box spring or a platform.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 1:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• my son likes to sleep on the floor with just his blanket and pillow. WHy would it make someone feel like trash? That's weird. I say whatever makes him comfortable, it's not a big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2010