Is it necessary to have a birthday party for my soon-to-be-two year old girl?

I'm just not in the mood this year. I'm planning to get her gifts, and her daddy and I would have cake, ice cream, and a special dinner at home, but I don't feel up to a big "to-do"...am I a bad mommy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• She's only 2, she's not going to care about a big party. Having cake and ice cream with Mommy and Daddy will be fine. Throwing a big party for a 2 year old is more for the parents than the kid, because a 2 year old is NOT going to remember.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:53 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• That's totally up to you. Just make sure any family who wants to give her a gift gets a chance to see your DD and do so. :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• No. You're still awknowledging her birthday and everything. She's 2, she won't care lol. Next year make sure you're in the mood, though, because she might be able to remember it later lol.

We just invited the neighbor kids over to play and had cake and ice cream for my daughter's birthday this year. She just turned 2 also. No biggie :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• What makes you think you are a bad mommy. The whole time I was growing up, the only birthday parties I had was when I was 12 and 16. It didnt make my mom and dad bad parents, nor did they not love me. I have wonderful, very loving and supportive parents. My favorite memories are the special dinners and the cake aftewards (mmm cake!) from my birthday.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree with anon. I, for one, do not believe in 1 year old birthday parties. By the time they are two they know more about fun stuff. Making the day special with just the family is fine. But, if people do want to stop by and give gifts....let them!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• That's all I ever got when I was a kid and I was always jealous of my friends getting parties. But for a 2 year old I don't see the big deal. As long as you have a little party with your household to acknowledge her birthday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My kids are 4 and 7 and most of the time I don't do big parties. We get cake and ice cream and a few of my friends kids that live in the neighborhood come and sing happy birthday. We get them whatever they want as far as toys go. They are happy as long as they got toys and sweets. I doesn't take much to entertain kids. I think it's the parents that make the biggest deal about it when the kids could care less about a big party. Its up to you, but no you are not a bad mom if you decide to keep it low key.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• We dont really celebrate it that much. They have cake and most of the time the biggest treat is going somewhere special. They have a choice between a toy or a trip to a zoo or museum. most of the time its the trip that is the most appealing. This year at Christmas we are doing away with presents and going on vacation. Santa is going to bring them swimming trunks at the hotel and that is probably it. We are different. It is ridiculous what the holiday costs. So instead we are using the money on a family trip.
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I personally would never NOT throw a party but I don't think it makes you a bad parent.

I do think it's kind of crappy thaat you just "aren't in the mood" to throw your DD a celebration. My DD knew she was having a BDay party at 2. Kind of sad not to give her one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• No, it's not a big deal. Trust me, at this age, the party is more for the parents, or more to "keep up with the Jones family" than it is for the kids.

My ds's first birthday was spent in a hotel, in the middle of a transfer to a new duty station, with cake from the dining room at the hotel (it was their off season, and the staff had some with us, and he had some gifts from us to open. Our dd turned 2 while we were living in a temporary apartment while my dh attended a 3 month school between duty stations. I made a cake, we had presents, but no party.

Neither of them remember it - though they do both know and laugh about it. They've both had great birthdays that they were old enough to remember, and they're pretty well adjusted teens now, so...

I don't think it's horrible at all.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2010