I need help pronto, my 4 year old son will not go potty at all, he will only go if i make him, he will not tell me he has to go pee or poop, ive tried him in only underwears as well, ive tried bribing him, you name it ive tried, any advice would sure be appreciated. Also, he starts Pre-k in two months.

Qtmamiof3

Asked by Qtmamiof3 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is almost 4 and I had wicked troubles with him.... tried everything!! What I finally did was pay him!!! LOL Really!! I had enough and I told him I'd give him a quarter every time he went in the potty and his pull up was dry and he had to give me a quarter every time he peed/pooped in his pull-up. Well, he only had to give up two quarters and I only had to pay him for a week. He started using the potty on his own pretty much the day I made this deal with him!! I know it's hard and ppl will tell you to sit him on the potty every 15 minutes or something... but that caused us a world of trouble and made him want to go even less!! Good luck hun, you just have to find the incentive that he will react to best!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My daughter potty trained at 2 but what worked for her was setting a cooking timer for 30 minutes and every time it dinged I put her on the toilet whether she said she had to go or not. Eventually she was able to handle her own cues and go on her own.

I haven't potty trained a boy yet (DS is only 11 months) but my friend had a LOT of trouble with her DS. She finally let him run around naked at home. He peed on himself twice and pooped on himself once. She made him clean it up and he went in the toilet every time after that.

Just a couple of ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• on my son's 4th bday he was wearing diapers and I didn't have plans for a party and we went to pick out whatever he wanted no matter how big!!....well anyway I walked him over to the diapers and we had a talk...I explained to him that he was no longer wearing diapers ....he was 4 and 4 yr olds are no longer babies but big kids...big kids do not wear diapers...so I asked him to decide if he was ready to be a big kid or if he wanted to stay in diapers......he decided he wanted to be a big kid so we walked over to underwear and he chose his own underwear and I told him to make sure spiderman does not get wet, spiderman does not like to be wet...
    He is almost 6 and no accidents so far!! he knows the guys on his underwear like to stay dry..lol....really just get down to their level and they will understand...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I forgot to add that we were at target and he was going to get to pick out a toy so I chose to talk to him man to mom..lol and it really did wonders
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My son is 2 and will be 3 in about a month. I also have one the will be a yr in a week..two in diapers. I started having his dad and grandpa take him in their so he could observe. then i got a mini gumball despenser and put m and m's in it and would let him have "potty candy" when he went.. sometimes he would try and then want candy.... so i decided i was really done I read a book that said once you start do not go back to diapers and that was the best advice ever. We went and picked out big boy underwear and when we got home i told him the diapers were for the baby. The first day or 2 he wasnt sure, so he ran around naked most the time I'm on day 7 and making progress. I make him take off his wet stuff and put it down the chute when has an accident tell him its ok and have him try then we put another pair on and start all over. I ask him if he has to go about once an hour. hes learning the signs and going on his own mostly.
    MrsFletcher

Answer by MrsFletcher at 1:29 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• P.S. I put my son in pull ups ONLY at night and if i need to go to the store i take an extra set of clothes and underwear including socks and underwear, when it runs down their legs their socks and shoes will get wet lol. Back to the store.... i have him go potty or at least try before we leave and again when we get there...I ask if he has to go before we leave and again when we get home. It is time consuming but I promise it will pay off... if you need anything e-mails me. I will try to help out as much as possible...i nannied a 5 year old that had accidents and we did lots to help her...
    MrsFletcher

Answer by MrsFletcher at 1:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2010