My 21 month old is having tubes put in his ears next week.... (please read)

there are plenty of times that he wakes up during the night and needs a drink (allergies) and won't go back to sleep without one. But he can't have a drink any time after midnight because the surgery is at 8 am. So... any tips or advice if he wakes up after midnight wanting a drink? I'm afraid he just won't sleep.

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have no idea cause I never went through this, but Im so sorry and I hope the surgery goes smooth and he is back up and running around :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You'll have to let him cry. Or maybe give him an ice chip. I remember something about clear liquids being okay until a couple hours before the surgery...I could be mistaken.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My son is 13 months old and just had tubes in his ears last month. He was allowed to have water, in small amounts, up until 2 hours before the surgery. Hope that helps :)
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• before u go through w/ surgery read this bk No More Amoxicillin: by Mary Ann Block. Food allergies can cause these cronic ear, throat, skin things. For myself it was dairy, same for my oldest son. For my 2nd son it's nuts. FYI most commonly it's due to dairy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I've been through procedures and surgeries a lot w/my daughter and she is the same way with drinks.
    One of the times, a nurse gave her a little sponge on a stick that we could dip in water and let her wet her mouth with it. You could ask about getting some of them. It really helped us. You may also be able to break up some ice cubes and give him small ice chips, just not a lot at once because it could make him sick when they put him under. You can call the doctor and get some ideas from him, that's where we got the ideas.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2010