Need HELP from LEFT HANDED mamas or mamas with LEFT HANDED children!!! (Trying to teach 3 year old DD to write)

My DD is 3 and I've started teaching her letters and teaching her to write. We are practicing tracing letters but I'm right handed and DD is left handed. She's doing pretty good but she's getting frustrated and I think it's because I'm holding my hand and her hand the way a right handed person does.

Is there a certain way I'm supposed to teach a left handed child verses a right handed child? I don't want to do anything wrong and make it harder on her.

Any advise on teaching a 3 year old left handed child to write would be GREAT!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• first tip is have her watch you in a mirror
    second, let her figure it out in her own time. 3 yrs is at the very early point of being able to handle a pencil, in fact many kids at this age are still undecided as to which hand they favour and weill colour with either hand. So it's okay and normal for her to be frustrated and unsure.
    Third My DH and DD are both lefties and they turn their paper so they are along side it rather than in front - no sure if that helps.
    Until the pen thing is sorted try just doing simple shapes that she can predict where to go next- a circle that you have drawn dotdotdot style, a square, a triangle... She will handle those better and develop pencil skills. then start with easy letters to predict -T, O, E, L ... any letter with a curve is the biggest stumbling block for all learners, not just lefties and she will take a couple of years to get the hang of it -normal!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• DS is a Lefty and I had the same problem when I was trying to teach him how to write at 3y/o. He would get so frustrated and then want to quit. Now I think he was just too young, he didn't quite grasp the concept of how to do it and the coordination skills just weren't 100% there. Now he is 4 and he is just figuring it out on his own. We did a lot of the dotdotdot style traceables like myheartx4 suggested, and he just learned how to write stuff his own way. KUMON has some good books that helped DS learn to write his numbers and letters, I picked them up at walmart for like $6 I think.

It is a challenge trying to teach a lefty when you're right handed though. I feel so bad for DS sometimes, just this past weekend he started t-ball and was watching how other kids were doing things and I could tell it confused the hell out of him because everyone else was doing everything with their other hand. They'll learn though!
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 2:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My mother is a left handed women and she tought me how to write and all I had no problem learning grated it was 30 years ago but i don't remember ever having an issue or being confused.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• It may have more to do with her age than her dominant hand. Some kids don't have the needed fine motor skills until 5 or even 6.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 3:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2010