What do you feed your young children for their meals??

I don't cook hardly at all, but now that I have two young children - I really want to get in the habit of cooking healthy meals every day. (My boys are 2 and newborn right now) It is just too easy to heat something (processed and unhealthy) up for meals or get something from a fast food place and I don't want to do that anymore. Sooooo I am wondering what healthy moms cook for each of their meals. (PLEASE BE DETAILED!!) Thanks so much!

TLALONDE16

Asked by TLALONDE16 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You should get a George Foreman Grill! Boneless Skinless Chicken is usually the main course in most of our meals. Either on the George Foreman Grill with different seasonings or sauces on it like lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning, BBQ sauce, Teriyaki, it is SO EASY and FAST! Or I will put the chicken in a pan frozen and all, and just put some water in the bottom and put Italian Dressing or different sauces and saute it. Just throw a lid on it and let it cook itself, it turns out SO juicy! Chicken is healthy and it is easy to cut up in to small pieces for the little ones. Sides are usually a mix of green beans, Broccoli, Fruit and Salad. Every once in a while we will have baked beans or some sort of pasta dish on the side.

Other things we make a lot is Tacos, and with the left overs we have taco salads. Spaghetti, if you can learn to like wheat noodles, that would be a better choice, paired with a side salad is good.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 1:47 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• It is good that you are wanting to start cooking. It really gives me a sense of accomplishment when I put a nice homemade meal on the table. It is also the best time for you to start doing it because your LO are little and are more willing to try new things.
    I can give you two easy meals that my family loves.

The first is Hamburger veggie soup.

Brown 1lb hamburger and add a diced onion, add salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste. Drain the grease, add two cans of stewed tomatoes and 6 cups of water. Bring to boil add peeled and chopped potatoes. Boil until potatoes are mostly tender, add corn and green beans, boil until veggies are hot. You can use a can of each of the veggies or two cup of each if frozen.
    This is one of my families favorite recipes and is my favorite meal from when I was a kid. We serve with bread and butter.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Black bean quesadillas.

1lb hamburger
    2 cans black beans rinsed
    1 small can chopped green chilis
    1 small onion
    spices...garlic, cumin, chili powder...all to taste
    sharp cheddar cheese
    tortillas
    Brown ground beef with spices, add chopped onions. When the onions are tender add the black beans and green chilis. Cook for a few minutes to let the flavors come together. I like to mush the beans so the quesadillas are easier to flip...beans don't fall out all over the place. turn oven to 350 degrees. Put some of the bean mixture on half of the tortilla and cover with cheese. place on baking sheet. Continue until baking sheet is full. Bake 5 minutes and flip, five more minutes and they are done. I cut them into pieces and serve with corn salsa.

This is enough for two meals/2adults/3kid
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Parenting Magazine usually has some healthy easy kid friend recipes in the back of it. If you don't get that magazine, they have a lot of recipes online:

http://www.parenting.com/recipes/

Best foods website has some yummy recipes too:

http://www.bestfoods.us/promotions/therealfoodproject/recipe_collection.aspx?Category=HereComesSummer

Kraft too:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/home.aspx
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 1:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My DD just turned two and she has really great easy good stuff to eat. I make her a ham and American cheese sandwich with hummus on the bread. You can also yogurt and cut up strawberries and your LO can dip fruit in the yogurt. You can also get some great recipes from parenting.com and parents.com Google healthy eating and see what comes up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• This is a REALLY good site.

http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Breakfast- Whole Grain Pancakes (there are lots of good recipes out there or you can buy whole grain mix)
    Snack-Sliced Fruit with fat free vanilla yogurt (let the kids use it as dip)
    Lunch-Pasta salad (whole grain pasta, olive oil based italian dressing, chopped tomatoes, tuna chunks, fat free mozerella)
    Afternoon snack-Baby carrots and fat free ranch dressing or fat free sour cream with veggie soup mix blended in)
    Dinner-Grilled chicken cut into chunks, baked sweet potatoe "fries", and grilled zukini stips

I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old. My 11 month obvious can't have some of this stuff like the strawberries or fish but this is a typical day for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Breakfast:
    -Fat Free Yogurt, fresh blueberries, low fat granola.
    -Baked Frita (Eggs, fat free milk, fat free mozerella, frsh spinach and garlic powder)
    -Breakfast tacos (eggs, wheat tortillas, fat free cheddar, mild salsa on the side)< These are great for making LOTS of them and then freazing so you can pop them in the microwave on a busy morning.
    -Wheat Bagel Breakfast "pizzas" (wheat bagel, fat free cream cheese and toppings of a variety of fruit)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• One easy meal my kids like is pasta (we use whole wheat) - my youngest is 18 months and still not great with a fork/spoon so we use rotini that's easy for him to pick up - with just about any type of sauce. Or with just some olive oil, diced tomatoes and cucumbers. You can also cook a chicken breast and throw bits of chicken in there for some added protein.

Answer by missanc at 7:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• this was my sons breakfast today: whole grain waffle w/ a little bit of butter and maple syrup, handful of freshly picked mulberries, 1 hard boiled egg, diluted fruitable juice.

he is going through a picky phase right now. It's driving me nuts! He loves bananas, he hates bananas, he loves them now...he's always loved macaroni and cheese, he won't touch it now...AAAARGH
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2010