Should I take them to a speech pathologist?

Hi! My son and daughter are talkers- they talk non-stop, so I feel that they communicate well. However, they do have trouble saying certain letters correctly, like "th" in "them" sounding more like "dem" and in their "s" which is sometimes a lisp.

They're 3.5 and 2

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 8:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would love to answer this one. My mother told me how awful it was to name my second child Maura because the first child was almost five and couldn't say her R's. So, I changed the kid's name (dumb me). I made her middle name Maura and guess what? My older daughter speaks perfectly clearly without the help of a therapist. So, give them time. If they are going to public school, the teacher will be available to talk to if you are concerned and/or will bring it to your attention if it seems like she needs help. Those services will be available at school or they will be able to help you find them. Not to worry!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• That's completely normal at their age. Don't worry about it. Our kids' doctor said that by the age of 5 you should be able to understand them 100%. If they're still having those problems by then, then I'd talk to the doctor about it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Thanks!! I really don't want to take them yet.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• In New York, if you think there is an issue the child can be tested through the school district. If needed they will receive services as pre-schoolers.
    jacki1959

Answer by jacki1959 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I would not be to concerned as of yet. My daughter is almost 5 and has just now started pronouncing words correctly. When I noticed my daughter mispronouncing a word, I woul stop her and say it's pronounced like this and have her repeat it and that seemed to help with her.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• No I would wait a couple years. If they are still having those issues in kindergarten then they should definitely be evaluated and receive speech services. However I definitely think it's something that they might grow out of.
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Before this closes, I wanted to say that because of yall's encouragement, I am not taking them at this time :)
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Yeah, give it time. Mine had great mispronunciations like stashmush for moustache, clider for ladder, suspenders made scissors become suscissors ! Our daughter had a definite lisp with her Ss til she was 9. It's a good idea to enunciate clearly yourself, and your family, too, if your children hazy on HOW to say words. After all, every sentence they hear is forming and refining their language and also it forms the structure of their thinking patterns. (That's why good grammar helps kids grow up thinking clearly - it isn't about the rules, it's about hearing organized thought processes around them)Now, of course you don't want to stop them in their tracks and correct them; if they say something incorrectly "de goggy eated is food", you can smoothly say "Yes!The doggy ate his food!" like it is a happy sharing, with NOT much emphasis on the corrections. You don't want them to feel somehow disapproved of and to hesitate to talk because they're doing something "wrong".
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2008