Air travel and my 10 month old

I will be taking a 2 hrflight adn then have an hour layover than another 3 hr flight. my son is 10 mothes old and my nap a little, but im worried that he will be a tiny tyrant on the plane. he will want to get down and move and get bored easily. what are some tips and tricks to make this day easier. i also need some food suggestions that arent fast food. baby food is messy and i want to be clean when we arrive.

KJ_on

Asked by KJ_on at 1:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I traveled with a 10 month old on about the same length of trip and it actually wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and she is normally very rambunctious. I took lots of snacks with me- cheerios, bananas, crackers, baby food "pouches" that aren't nearly as messy, sandwhices....

I also bought a few cheap new toys and waited to give them to her until we were on the plane and she was clearly bored- they were things she'd never seen before so she was quite entertained!

A layover will help because he will be able to run around a bit.

I also breastfed so I just nursed her during takeoff/landing to ease with the ear changes- if your child nurses or takes a paci, it will help- just as we chew gum.

Try to sit by the window for extra entertainment.

Best of luck! It won't be all that bad!

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I traveled with a 10 month old too, with no layover, and it was a 5 hour flight. Some kiddos have been known to throw up when the plane takes off and lands because of the vast air pressure differences, so take 2 extra sets of clothes - even for you as well. If he has a pacifier, have him suck on it before take off and landing, so his ears won't pop and potentially frighten him, or give him a bottle... a couple crackers, stuff like that.
    Get some toys that really capture his interests. You can even ask the flight attendants for a cup.. lol. My son banged that cup on the lap desk for a good while, and it entertained him.
    Goldfish crackers, Gerbers Puffs, some fruits and veggies is what I took on the plane. Since you'll have a layover, that's perfect to give him a good meal, and hopefully, but the time you board the second flight, he'll be napping!

Good luck!
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 4:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2010