Air travel and my 10 month old

I will be taking a 2 hrflight adn then have an hour layover than another 3 hr flight. my son is 10 mothes old and my nap a little, but im worried that he will be a tiny tyrant on the plane. he will want to get down and move and get bored easily. what are some tips and tricks to make this day easier. i also need some food suggestions that arent fast food. baby food is messy and i want to be clean when we arrive

KJ_on

Asked by KJ_on at 1:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I flew transatlantic with my son when he was 5 months, 15 months, and 23 months. That's a flight of 6+ hours plus layovers before another flight of 2-3 hours. We survived all of them quite intact, even the one at 23 months which wound up taking 3 days.

What kind of finger foods does he eat? You can give him a proper meal on the layover when you have some room to maneuver and access to a decent bathroom for clean up. Stuff like cheerios, teddy grahams, and other small fingers foods can be good. Maybe a banana too if he can handle that. If you're still nursing then nurse him on the way up and down to help with his ears. If you're not nursing then give him a pacifier or teething ring, something he'll suck on.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Bring a couple of new books, ones with bits to touch and move would be good. Depending on what sort of toys he plays with currently you could get something for him. At 15 months I brought 3 new board books, 3 small cuddly toys, and a notebook with some crayons. Remember that a plane is a new and exciting place so he might be content to just people watch, peek out the window, and watch the in-flight entertainment, particularly if he doesn't get to watch much TV at home.

Change his dipe before boarding and on the layover. Changing a dipe on a plane is quite miserable. I had to change a stinky dipe on one flight and with the table down in the bathroom there isn't room to close the door. Totally grossed out the few rows closest to the restroom!

Don't be afraid to ask for help. The cabin crew want him to remain happy for everyone's sake. If he wants to shred in the in-flight magazine ask for a plastic bag to contain the mess.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2010