Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you find your own infant, how should you go about getting adoption finalized?

Okay, so this family I know (I actually know the biological mother) has an infant in their care who they would like to adopt, and bio mom is on board (signed over guardianship to them when the baby was like 9 weeks old). They are low-income and want to know the best way to go about adopting the baby. Apparently the lawyer they contacted is asking astronomical prices just to file paperwork. About how much should that cost?


Asked by MarlaMomma at 4:09 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Adoption

Level 8 (226 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • You might want to try an attorney who specializes in family law instead of adoption. Attorneys who do only adoption are out only for your money.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • They're going to need to find a lawyer that specializes in adoptions. As far as I'm aware, however, the adoptee (the parents who are giving up their baby) won't have to pay much if anything at all - it's the adopters that would have to front most of the costs, since they're the ones going about adopting this baby. I'm not too sure on the costs, but I know kinship/step parent adoptions cost about $1200-2500. So, I'm thinking it's higher than that, they'll have to research! I know some agencies will give you an estimate.
    Good luck to everyone!

    Answer by ManicMomma02 at 4:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • they could try contacting child services they might be able to direct them to who they need to talk to My sis has a 4 yr old she got the bio mom to sign over guardian ship and they did a court date to determine the child's best interests,

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • In your post you state the biological mom is on board with the adoption, however nothing is mentioned about the biological father. He has rights to the baby. No adoption can take place unless the biological father is notified. I would check around with different attorneys to see if the rate is any lower for adoption, especially if all is on board.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • I'll let them know to look for a family law attorney. The bio dad was never interested and from what I understand they have been trying to contact him. The people who have her baby are friends of her mothers, and both her mother and the husband are employees of my mother. That's how we know them and the girl came to stay with us for a time while she was pregnant. She was going to keep her baby, but soon she endangered and neglected her and then decided that being with new guy was more important. They have a semi-open agreement. The grandma sees the baby all the time and goes to doctor visits, she is friends with the couple. The bio mom doesn't see the baby as much, mostly because she isn't interested, I think she is trying to get pregnant again by the new guy she is with. Anyway, thanks for the advice and I think I have to tell them they need to shell out some big bucks but we can shop around for lawyers.

    Answer by MarlaMomma at 12:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2010