starwberries

I just bought a big pack of strawberries from costco the only problem is that they always go moldy really fast is there anyway to keep them from doing that?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 5:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• only freezing them will keep them from getting moldy. it sucks because fresh berries are the best treat but they do spoil quickly. you can put them in a container, ad sugar, and leave in the fridge. they'll bleed out making a syrup but then you won't have that fresh strawberry taste
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I haven't tried them, but have heard of those "green bags" that keep fruit/veggies fresh longer. Would love to know from someone if they work - we always have one or two bananas that I end up having to freeze for banana bread.

Answer by missanc at 7:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Do you rinse them with water right when you bring them home? If you wait until your ready to use them they they usually don't mold up that fast..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I put them in the fridge.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i try to get strawberries only from the farmer's market... in fact i try to get all my produce there when possible - it's more expensive up front but lasts a hell of a lot longer so the cost ends up about even when it comes to what i have to throw away from the grocery store. plus they taste sooooo much better. i know this doesn't help you now, but future reference...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I bought one of those and two of raspberries. Costco has the cheapest organic fruit!!

Wash them; slice them if you would like. Lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze. Put in a container and freeze. Great for snacks, smoothies, baking, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2010