too much stuff!!

My kids last day of school was thursday and they brought home so much stuff from folders to papers to name tags you name it....i had a first grader and a kindergardner what do i do with all the stuff? I dont want to throw it all away bc i want to be able to show them when they get older but i dont want it to continue to sit on my kitchen table...any advice?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 6:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids are finishing Kindergarten and 2nd grade--so I know what you mean! LOL What I have done is install corkboard STRIPS in their bedrooms (you can buy them at any office supply store) to hang THEIR favorite artwork from--they get to choose what they want to hang up. The "keepsake" items (usually just 2-3 items) that I want to preserve as a reminder of when they were young, I keep in a large wooden "treasure chest" keepsake box. And school work (papers, tests, etc.) I usually throw away--but I keep all of their progress reports, report cards, notes from the teachers--which includes thank you notes, as I give the teachers gifts on behalf of my children.

So I would keep the "best of" their work from each grade, or those special gifts that you know in 10-20 years will bring back sweet memories of your children. I am most fond of the Mother's Day gifts they have made for me! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I personally don't believe in keeping all of it ... honestly, some of it is just junk. Sort through it all and keep the most significant of their projects and reports and artwork, together with any progress reports, report cards, awards/certificates, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I saw something a woman did once that was really cool - I wish I had thought to do it :-) She would keep a few things, but the rest, she would take close up pictures of and put in a scrapbook for them. Then, she threw the stuff away - like I said, keeping a few things - and kept the pictures of it to show the kids.

Maybe you could do something like that?

Though I have to be honest with you - I didn't hear about this when my kids were little. I tried to keep as much of it as I could, packing it away in boxes. Now, my kids are going into 11th and 12th grade, and before we moved here last summer, we were going through boxes of stuff, a lot of it those old papers. Some of it (the really special stuff) was nice to have, but most of it, I didn't really remember what it was from, the kids were like - oh, ok (toss it away...), and it was just taking up space.

Pick out a few things, and don't worry about it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I kept papers from their actual workbook and threw out extra worksheets. Or if something had a note on it, like, "Excellent handwriting!" that kind of thing.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I keep some of their art work and papers and all report card and such. I have an accordian file for them and seperate it out by grades for each child. Our youngest was in preschool this year and she would see me throw the other 2 kids things away and decided I couldn't look at anything in her bag all year, so I waited until she was in bed. Also my son just finished kindergarten and he has a plastic shoe box that they decorated for all the little books he made in school so that is where those are kept.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You physically cannot keep all of it. Two kids * 13 years = a whole lot of paper junk.

Sit down by yourself and cull out what is truly not worth keeping -- all the repetitive practice worksheets, for example. Then sit down with your kids and have them choose 8 or 10 thing that they think best represent their school year. Keep those things (and their report cards, of course) however you want to store them. Dispose of the rest without guilt.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Get them each a rubbermaid tote I laminate alot of stuff, and save it for decorations for their graduation parties, mostly the award certificates, and the cutes art work. As well as uniforms from scouts and AWANA
    Anonymous

• Ok we can't keep every thing they make. I agree, get a rubbermaid bin...that is what I did for each of my kids. Then I hang stuff on the fridge for awhile, then pick a few favs to put in the bin as new stuff is made, and when they are in bed pitch the rest.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2010