I'm just so peeved!!!

I asked a teenager who lives next door to babysit at the last minute. She asked how long and I didn't know. She was okay with that. I asked how much she charged and she said whatever. It ended up being an all day thing. When I picked up my DD she told me that she charges 10 an hour. She is 18 or 19. How in the world could she have that much in experience or credentials to charge that much. I babysit for a family that is much better off than we are and I only charge 5 an hour per kid. I also have serious credentials behind me. I am also CPR and first aid certified as well as having gone to school to become an MA and I am ready to start nursing school. I also worked peds for 6 years. What do you pay your babysitters when you have to pay one?

coala

Asked by coala at 8:04 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Around here $3 per hour is quite generous. Daycare's only charge $4 per hour. No way would I pay anyone more than the minimum wage for babysitting.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• The most I have ever paid was $8/hr for my three kids but that was about 5 years ago (and that was by my choice, she didn't have a set price). The sitter was 18 but had been babysitting for my kids for a couple years. When I used to use sitters a lot, I would tell them when I was getting them to babysit how much I paid/hr and ask if that was okay, rather than asking them what they charge.

Answer by missanc at 8:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• 10 an hour is very much the norm....
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• about 8 an hour sounds resonable.It's a home & not a regular job, right?
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• OP here: She was at her home--where she is staying rent free and watching my neighbors kids for FREE where she is staying. She told me to pay her whatever. So I thought about what I would usually get paid and I thought that I got paid good for doing almost nothing when I babysit and she had my 2 yo plus a whiny 4 yo and a 10 yo who are my neighbors kids that she is supposed to watch. I asked her at 4 if she wanted me to come and get her and she said no because she is such a good kid. So why the change of pace when I tried to pay her what I thought that she deserved.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• well if you ever expect her to keep your daughter again i would give her the 10 an hour if not i would give her whatever you want to since she did say "whatever" and explain to her that thats what you had agreed upon and that if you knew she was going to say 10 an hour you wouldnt have left your child there
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You should have made her tell you before you left. Don't get angry with her for you not following through. I'd have charged you a lot too if you left me with your child all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Honestly, that's about what my teens get when they babysit, and they're actually cheaper than a lot of their friends.

I agree though, honestly, it's much better if you have at least a vague timeline for when you're going to be back (if you think about it, this isn't them doing a favor for a friend, this is a job for them, and you wouldn't want a boss to say "come in today, and stay til whenever I decide to send you home...), and she should be upfront about what she charges. My kids charge for a full hour min, then an hourly rate after that. This rate is for up to 3 kids. Any more kids than that, there is an additional fee, but only for up to 5 kids (and none of them babies if there's that many) - they added this rule because once they had 3 families try to "share a sitter" wanting to leave like 8 kids with my dd, but only one of them pay her. Sorry, but um, no.

I would pay her, but both be more clear next time :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Oh, I should add, my kids are also older, first aid / cpr qualified (though not for babies, but they don't do a lot of BABY babysitting), and most of the time, they do it at the family's home, and they play with the kids, read to them, make sure they eat dinner (though 99% of the time, the parents leave something for the kids to eat, or they leave money for pizza - they aren't in there doing any serious cooking or anything).

They also make sure the house isn't left trashed with toys all over the place or anything - they don't clean the house, but they don't do the whole the parents are gone, so the kids trash the house thing.

Which is probably why the people they babysit for don't mind paying them what they do. :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• it's been years since i've had a babysitter, however, you could have saved yourself some trouble by agreeing on a rate before the babysitting happened...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2010