Disciplining?

I don't believe in spanking my husband does and we agreed we won't use that form of disapline. My daughter is throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way and not listening when we ask her to do something. She has also been running to the other parent when one of use tells her something she doesn't like to try and get her way. She turned 3 in March and we need to get her under control any tips disciplining without spanking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There is nothing else that I know of that works. Spanking has been used effectively for centuries. The result has been well-behaved, respectful children who loved and obeyed their parents. What you are seeing in your child is typical of the non-spanked generation. Children need to know that their parents are willing to draw boundaries and that they are willing to enforce them. They actually find security in knowing that. There must be some pain associated with bad behavior in childhood just as there is pain involved in the wrong choices we make as adults. Children have to be taught early on that doing wrong brings pain, or at least it used to and it still should. The thing about spanking is that if you are willing to use it, you will very seldom have to. Just knowing there will be consequences is in and of itself a deterrent. Your hubby was right on this one.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Spanking is wrong I feel so bad for these poor defenceless children.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Spanking is wrong I feel so bad for these poor defenceless children

I feel so bad for the children of parents who don't know how to spell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• "Spanking is wrong I feel so bad for these poor defenceless children

I feel so bad for the children of parents who don't know how to spell. "

She made a typo don't be rude. What's wrong with you hateful moms on here? I bet you spank you seem really angry.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Spanking isn't done out of anger like many of you believe it is. I have seen 2 sets now of my nieces and nephews not spanked and only put in time out. Both sets, different parents and their kids are out of control. They have asked how my kids aren't that way and simply put if my child is disrespectful they get warned if they continue after 2 warnings they get their butt swatted. I am not talking as hard as I can hit them. I am talking enough to make it hurt a tiny bit to where it gets their attention. The reason so many of us are "hateful" is because we don't conform to these new hip trends of what others feel are socially acceptable and we use our own brains to figure out what works for us. I am sorry there is spellcheck for a reason and it is just lazy to not use it.

carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I don't spank my child she gets put in time out.
    If she tries to get up, we put her back in it and sit there in front of her while she is done.
    Once she stops crying and is able to talk to us, we explain to her WHY we put here in time out and make sure she understands what she did was wrong.
    My husband and I stand by each other and enforce the same discipline.
    My child listens and KNOWS there are consequences to her actions.
    (We use time out for not listening, doing something she isn't suppose to, etc. We also take toys and privileges away as well).
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 11:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2010