internet's affect on relationships

Whose relationship as ever been negatively affected by the internet? Just curious because it seems to be a common theme. Also if so why do you think it has a negative impact?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Good observation. I think you have hit on something. Maybe bc the Internet caters to fantasy and the reality of real life sometimes sucks. The Internet can challenge us with games and you know how competitive some people can be. It's immediate gratification with ordering online (if we like to shop) or date sites, videos, movies including porn. It's very easy to socialize online and even pretend we are someone we're not. There are a lot of positives about the Internet but we all need to balance. Not sure if guys would agree with me since they love the adrenaline rush of challenge and sometimes won't stop, ignoring family and responsibilities playing those games!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Nope my husband and I both have our laptops set up in the living room, if we want to chat we pm. lol. We are a tech and TV (it's always on) house. Even my 3 year old is addicted to the net she loves playing Nick jr and playhouse Disney games online.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Actually, my marriage has been positively affected by the internet. My dh goes away for long periods of time (he's military). I remember before the internet, email, etc... (lol - yes, I know...)

When we were first married, we had to use snail mail and expensive long distance calls. Now, when he's gone, depending on where he is and what sort of deployment or temporary duty it is, we can email, chat, video chat, etc. Plus, we have a phone line ran through the computer, so for times like now, when we live overseas and he's had to go back Stateside for some work stuff, he can buy a cheap calling card and call me on the Vonage, then have me call him back, and we can talk without international phone bill charges.

I know that some marriages have been hurt by the internet - I'm not denying that - I'm just saying that sometimes it can be a good thing, too - it just depends on how you and your SO decide to use it :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Here's my take... the internet makes it easier to do the things someone is thinking about already. If he (or you, it works both ways) is looking at porn secret because the other person would be bothered with it, is a member of a dating site, whatever, its because they want to be. It's easier to get on the internet and find what you want then it is to walk into a bar and hit on someone or walk into a porn shop. If that person really wants to meet smeone else, or really wants to view porn, they will do it with or without the internet.

So if you (not you specifically, just people in general) are having a problem with the internet, you need to examine your relationship, not cut off the internet.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Immediate gratification! You can find anything you are looking for on the internet! It has opened up the whole world to people rather than who is just in their neighborhood! Not to mention it is easy to hide... I havent had to many big issues with my husband and the internet but we try to be open about everything. We have each others passwords and can go on everything and check if we feel the need! The only thing that has causes a small fight was he joined a social networking site and didnt tell me about it... but once we talked about it he deleted it. My friends long time boyfriend was going on live porn chats... caused a lot of problems between them!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• The internet is responsible for my relationship--I met my fabulous husband of almost 10 years on Match.com!! LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My mom went buck wild when she first got AOL back in the day. Within 2 months she had 3 affairs and left my dad after 20 years of marriage.
    Through that experience, I had met a lot of the people she was meeting from online come to find out that most were married and cheating on thier spouses via the internet.
    In our house, of course we don't cheat on eachother but the internet does play a big role in time consumption which we could be doing other things that need to be done, including just spending time with one another doing nothing but enjoying eachothers company.
    Also, its been such a great resource of information I don't think any of us rememebr how to look up information any other way other than the internet!! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My relationship has been positively effected and negatively as well. I MET him on the internet, so that pretty much trumps any problems we've had because of it lol. The negative is that he plays online games mroe than I would like... we've fought about it in the past, but it's not, like, a huge deal. It's just something that gets on my nerves sometimes. He's always available to take care of our daughter, she always comes first, no matter how big the raiding party is lol, and he's always willing to compromise with me and find a comfortable middle ground.

For him, the games are a release and an escape. It's how he de-stresses from work and fatherhood and life. It keeps him mellow, and that keeps me happy.

I'd say it has had way more positive effect than negative for most people.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I am only on here and FB and my hubby hates the computer, so no prob here!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• The internet has killed my marriage....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010