When is the best time to have my 2nd baby?

I had a baby November 2009 (she's 7 months now).

I'm thinking about getting pregnant November 2011 (she'll be almost 3 by the time baby #2 gets here).

What do you think?

MDT09

Asked by MDT09 at 9:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The World Health Organization recommends waithing at least 3 years before ttc.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• When you're ready--financially, emotionally, physically, etc.! My boys are 23 months apart, and I was 35 when I had my second. I remember being EXHAUSTED in the beginning, but eventually adjusted. I think 2 1/2-3 years between siblings is a good range. More than that, and it gets harder, because you forget how much energy a newborn requires, AND you're also juggling preschool, daycare, doctor's appointments, and other activities around your infant's feeding/sleep schedules. As crazy as it is, IMO, it's better to space them closer together, so you're going through similar phases at or around the same time.

My SIL had her first when she was 36, and her second at 41. Having her girls 5 years apart, has been exhausting for her and her husband (who is 10 years older than her). They said it was like being parents for the first time with their second. I think it's because with your first, you're kind of on "automatic pilot."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• my dd will be 5 in aug. and i just had my ds in march. it is so great, because she doesn't need the constant attention he does and is old enough to help out some and understand that i can't play right now because her little bro is eating.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think aleast 3 years between children is a good choice. (Personally didnt work out for me because of everything going on in my life, so now my son is almost 6 and we are trying for a baby) Its the perfect age between siblings because the oldest will be out of diapers, and understand having a younger sibling, and they start to become a little independent not needing full on attention all the time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• my boys are 20 months apart. It's great they always have eachother to hang out with. Do it when your ready. I love them being close in age.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• all of mine were concieved while my youngest was between 4 and 8 months old! God will let it happen if meant to be!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2010