When did you let your child color with the resturant's crayons?

I was out to dinner with hubby and my 7 month old DD. DD was in highchair (eating carrots LOL!) and the waitress brought her crayons and a coloring sheet... I secretly though "wow what a dumb-lady she's a baby, she can't color"... but then I thought, "ohhhhh, soon she will be coloring- but when?"

MDT09

Asked by MDT09 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was about 12 months when I was brave enough to give her a crayon. And from then on, all she wants in her hand is a crayon, a pencil, a pen, a piece of chalk or she's not happy,lol. She's 15 months now...and coloring is one of her favorite things to do.
    But yeah, I'd be suprised if someone brought a crayon and paper to her at 7 months old,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• With my first I didn't give her crayons until about 14 months -- just never thought of it. My second was scribbling at 12 months, but that young, they do try to eat the crayons.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think they really start getting into it around 16-18 months, though.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• At around the same age aas your daughter. The crayons are non-toxic, and there is no rule as to when they can start developing fine motor skills. Holding crayons and scribbling will help her develop skills for holding a spoon/fork and being able to feed herself. Of course, later she'll learn how to communicate through drawing and writing. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Somewhere around 1 I think, maybe closer to 18 months, I don't remember. Waitresses do that all the time though, maybe they just don't like to assume a child is too young for them, it is weird though.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• At 7 months, I would offer them to the baby, but they probably would be more interested in trying to eat them. But n o worries, they are non toxic. My son is 3 and is just now getting interested in coloring. Before we would just bring in a couple cars for him to play with.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• My daughter started using crayons at about 9 months. she never tried to put things in her mouth as a baby, so i wasnt worried about it. now she is 2.5 and she can write very well and is getting better everyday at coloring in the lines lol. besides, crayons are non-toxic, all they are is colored wax, so it wouldn't be HORRIBLE if a baby took a bite of one.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• About the same age as your child. It is never to early to start a child developing small motor skills. It won't hurt them if they bite a crayon, they are nontoxic. My son was painting by 1 year at day care too. Wasn't anything that was recognizable, but he had fun.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I didn't give my son crayons until he stopped eating them, around 16 months. He ate an entire yellow crayon and it came out in his poop!! ha ha! Anyway, I didn't want him to learn that that is what you do with crayons, so I waited until he could figure that out first.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• my dd was 7 months I got the crayola scribblers ....she loved them ! when we go to restaurants I bring my own crayon wheel it has all the colors .This is it. It very tiny so its easy to bring along ....I see my local dollar store started carrying some to !

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2010