6 mo old temper??

Normally my 6 mo old is a very happy easy going baby.. But when she gets mad she gets MAD. Even from day one. When she cries her whole little body turns purple and she screams. Well now that she's older she's finding other ways to vent her frustrations. Like if she's not happy with something she will make her little hand into a fist and pound it. Twice now she's punched herself in the face so hard she made herself cry. Yesterday I had her in her walker while I was cooking dinner. She was starting to fuss a little bit but I needed like 5 more min so I left her in tehre. I was talking to her and all that. But she started yelling. I looked at her and she pounded her fist on the tray. Then picked up one of her toys looked right at me and threw it!! I just ignored her when she did it. Finished dinner and picked her up. She does it with her paci too, she willtake it out, look at it, look at us and chuck it and look at us like ha

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• now what are you going to do? My instict is to say taht she's too young to know what she's doing. But if you would see the look on her face when she does this. LIke how she will look directly at me then throw a rattle as hard as she can. it really is like she's doing it on purpose! I tell her no and we don't throw and all that. but I want to try to stop this kind of behavior before it gets any worse. One of these days she's gonna give herself a black eye lol
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• It's a bad thing that an infant is getting so frustrated. If there are things you can do, even if they make life a little more difficult for you, to help your baby avoid frustration and all the negative hormones that go along with it then it would be best for the baby to do what it takes to keep the baby calm. Some babies are very frustrated until they can walk and then again until they can talk.

You are using mother substitutes - pacifiers, walkers, toys, ect. You have tried to get your baby used to these substitutes. You might try a baby carrier and more holding to decrease the frustration and your baby getting mad.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think she does know what she is doing in that she knows what she wants and she is determined to have her own way. I also think you did the right thing by leaving her where she was. Whenever she throws things, do not pick it up and give it back to her. If she hurts herself by pounding, she will probably soon give that up. Some children are more strong-willed than others and it sounds like she is probably going to be very determined to have her own way. When she starts to crawl and get into things would be the time when I would begin to smack her little hand, just hard enough for her to feel a little sting. My youngest grandson was a screamer, and his mommy spanked him for it, telling him that he could not scream at mommy. He has just about stopped doing it, although he will still test her once in a while. He just turned two, and he is a very well-behaved, happy little boy. Training children is hard, but mandatory.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• They get frustrated because their other means of communication haven't gotten across. Smacking and hitting as someone suggested isn't going to solve the issue. Put yourself in her shoe. Likely before the fussing she was trying to communicate, then she fussed and that wasn't working. so she tried the only thing she could do.

Wearing the baby help tremendously. A wrap, sling, or meitai. My daughter has fallen asleep while I vacuumed. She never fusses in it unless she needs a diaper change. It is a win win. She gets me and gets to watch all the action, I know where she is and I don't have to stop what I am doing. A 6 month old doesn't have empathy skills or impulse control...their wants are the same as their needs. They are designed that way for survival. It isn't defiance. 5 minutes to you is a very very long time in baby perspective. When a baby is fussing, its already been a while they've been trying
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• quite a while. All the toys in the world quickly bore babies. They have an inborn need to be in the middle of mommy's activities. I think you will find it isn't an issue once you recognize the need bofore it gets to the red zone.

FYI, if your walker has wheels, that a safety issue. Walkers are banned in many places such as canada, I don't know why the usa still sells them.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Shes acting like that cause she hasnt another form of communication, and shes trying to tell you somethingand she cant. Such as she wants out of the walker (which on a side note arent good for baby, the can actually delay walking and the aap recommends not using them and have even tried banning them). Look for early cues. Like when she starts to fuss shes telling you something.
    Anonymous

• I think your baby would be 100x happier if you just got a darn wrap and wore her on your back while you do stuff .. I wouldn't do that while cooking.. But if you do it more often while you're doing other things I think your baby will be 100% happier.

People always marveled at how HAPPY my son was as a baby. He pretty much never cried. And they still marvel at how well behaved in stores, at gatherings etc. always in my arms.. He's actually rather fussy baby. But I always nip the fussing in the butt BEFORE he is angry or crying. Why? Because I don't believe for a SECOND that they have any intention what-so-ever other than to have their basic needs met and interact with you and be with you at all times.

I agree with Gaill. You are using TOO MUCH mommy substitutes. How much time do you --actually spend holding your baby-- ?? In close human contact with your child??? That is a need. A need. Not a want. A need.
    Anonymous

• So because I said I put her in a walker for a little bit to cook dinner I don't hold her and I'm using mommy substitues? Wow...And since when is a rattle a mommy subsititue? Silly me I thought that giving her a rattle would help with things like hand control I don't want to hold her while cooking, that's just stupid. I would rather her get a little fussy then have her get burned or something. I have the wheels locked on the walker so she can't go anywhere. Most days she doesn't spend an hour a day in there. As I said the majority of the time she is a very happy and wonderful baby. She will do this kind of stuff even while we are holding and playing with her. she will be happy and fine one second then BAM! something makes her mad. She doesn't slowly wind up to getting mad. She just gets mad and goes all out. But anyways thank you ladies. From now on I will do nothing but sit in the chair and spend 100% of my time playing with
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• DD so she is never alone nad never put down. She will never hold another toy. Hell I can't even put her in her car seat because she might cry! So I guess I will just never leave the house again and hold her constantly. Who needs tummy time? she might cry and get mad. She needs nothing but to be held night and day.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• We aren't saying that. I never used a walker and I didn't start wondering if my son was somehow purposely getting mad and throwing stuff at me to hurt me. She doesn't have the cognitive ability to get "if I throw this at mommy it will hurt mommy/daddy and they will do what I want" .. her brain just isn't that complex yet. She gets that if she throws it, she releases some of her pent up frustration.

Putting her in the walker less than an hour per day to cook is FINE.

Tummy time is not actually that necessary if you have her up off the floor in a wrap a lot of the time. If she HATES the tummy time and screams, I wouldn't force it hard. In a wrap they build up same muscles. They get strong!

And toys aren't an issue. But it sounded like you were wanting her to not get mad when you put her down.. which.. in a 6 mo that's generally not gonna happen. She has the ability to feel some emotions and expresses them.
    Anonymous