I just got a kitten, now what?

Hubby brought home a kitten for our son and he is at school all day. Not that I mind, but that means its up to me to care for it. He has had lots of cats, in fact his Mom is like the crazy cat lady form off the Simpons, just without the crazy part. Lol. Anyway, any tips on how to care for a kitten would be great. Hubby already bought all the supplies. How do I make sure she pees and poops in her potty box and not on the floor? What do I do if she has an "accident?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Cats always WANT to poop and pee in soft things like dirt or in this case litter....they want to be able to cover it up....cant do that on wood or tile..lol

How old is this kitty? How many weeks?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• She is most likely already box trained. Just show her where the litter box is and she should be fine. Cats really don't need a whole lot of maintenance, just love on them and they will be fine.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Most cats are very easily litter box trained..its like they are born with that instinct or something. Wish training kids and puppies were as easy,lol.
    Just put the kitten in the litter box...make sure you put the litter box where you want it because once it knows where its at..thats where the kitten is going to go wether the box is there or not until it gets older and uses some common sence to sniff the box out,lol. You can take the kitten and gently rub its paws in the litter, they like doing that so once you get it started it shoudl be good to go. I have kittens here and they are 6 weeks old and already using the litter box. Other than that, they are pretty low maintenance, brush it if it will let you,love on it,cuddle it,tease it with a string or a little ball. If its a naughty kitty..you can use a water bottle to give it a spray to teach it a lesson..like if it jumps on the counter or tries getting in the garbage.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Put her in the box and take her paw and make the scratching motion. Show her where the food/water will be. If she tinkles or poos somewhere,use a odor remover cleaner designed for pets to clean it up. Cats mostly care for themselves. She may want to cuddle with you alot.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Kitties are super easy :) Show her where her box and soft litter are, take her paw and scratch in it a bit. instant litter box trained :) usually.

I have never had a kitten to have an accident unless they are super tiny..... (under 6 weeks old)

I usually keep the kitten in a small space like a laundry room or bathroom for a day or two just so they dont get overwhelmed and they also learn where their litter, food, and water are.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• That's all I have to do to teach it to use the potty box? That makes me so much less worried about having time for the kitten!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Cats naturally go in their box and they entertain themselves. The kitten may be lonely at first. I foster kittens for rescue organizations. If the kitten seems lonely you can put it in a fanny pack or baby sling and carry it around the house with you if it likes that. All the kittens I've had have liked it. You can get the kitten used to the plastic carrier by putting it in for short times and leaving the carrier out where it can get in on it's own. Make the carrier a safe zone where no one messes with it. Then the cat will always like the carrier and consider it a safe place when you have to take it places. Take the cat for car rides so it gets used to the car on non vet trips. Cats love cat towers. They are pricey. You can try to make one yourself. Enjoy your new kitty!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• The pine litter is great! We have the litter box next to the toilet and as soon as the cat poops we flush the poop. We have had as many as 5 cats and no stinky litter. Feeding dry food is best if you don't want runny stools. Some vets think wet food is best. They keep changing their minds. I would go with a high quality dry food.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I agree about the dry food! Wet cat food makes for VERY stinky bad litter boxes.

And also a clumping litter is nice. When the cat pees it makes it into a clump you can easily scoop out.

If you can keep the litter box by the toilet...it is nice to be able to flush all the poop and pee quickly and easily.

No need to change the entire box of litter until it looks like it needs it every couple of weeks or so.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I'm not sure how old the kitty is. Hubby said he got it off craigs list, but that you have to be careful doing that becuase you can end up with sick neglected animals. I assume he would not have taken it if it wasn't old enough yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2010