can i pump again?

so my milk dried up at 1 month after having my baby, bc i got the chicken poxs and the med they gave me dried my milk up. I read somewhere that you could start pumping and you milk would come back..my dd just turned 9months today, do you think i still have a chance for my milk to come back? has anyone gone throw this and had there milk come back. I really want to bf, my dd still tries to 'go after' my breast when i hold her. i was just wondering

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not too long for a baby to remember to want to breastfeed. It's an instinctual behavior.

Why pump? Put your baby to your breast and breastfeed. You could nurse on one side and pump the other if you wanted. Relactation can be simple or difficult, it just depends on the situation. The World Health Org recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years so it is worth the effort.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• If your child is 9 months and you stopped BFing her at 1 month, I highly doubt that she is trying "to go after the breast again". Not to be rude, but that's just too long of a span for a child to remember. I think you are wanting to try again, but I don't think that's possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I've heard of adoptive parents "re-lactating" but I don't have any information on it. I'm pretty sure it's possible though. Good luck momma!!!
    Anonymous

• It's possible; difficult, but possible. Re-lactating starts with a long talk with a lactation consultant about the best way to go about it. Most women combine putting the baby to the breast at any and all opportunities, pumping every two hours or so, and taking one or more milk-making supplements, like fenugreek and mother's milk tea. It is very possible; if a woman who has never been pregnant can lactate for an adopted infant, you have a good shot at re-lactating after having stopped.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2010