H.S. Graduation Gift

can someone give me an idea of what an appropriate graduation gift is for High School .... do you always have to gift money?? Because then it puts a value on the gift... what about a gift itself?? We are going to a graduation party today and I need to get/give something ... they will be living at home commuting to college so no need to get something for the dorm... any suggestions would be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I attended a party last month and gave a gift card for the local movie theater for $50 and another to Starbucks for $25..... her was very, very pleased.

Is the college local? Something from their school store, maybe?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• How about a gift card to the school book store? Or a college sweatshirt.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You said you'd rather not put a value on it, and I understand that. I like the idea of a college sweatshirt or t-shirt, but it may be too late for that. If it's a girl how about a journal to write about the new phase of her life. A nice pen, or pen and pencil set works for both guys and girls, a flashdrive to keep their school work on, my boys both graduated in the last couple of years, so these are the kinds of things they wanted.......music is always great, I will admit they did love the cash and giftcards in any amount because they add up quickly. A cool water bottle, my youngest takes his to school every day, a hat, and it can be a fun one, really anything you would get for a birthday works for a graduation......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• A backpack.
    Anonymous

• A gift card for BOOKS, TRANSPORTATION,GAS CARD, LAPTOP,IPOD-EBOOK. ..it depends on what you want to spend- A gift Card for RADIO SHACK?
    Anonymous

• Gas card!! They'll be driving back and forth to school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• A DVD slideshow, which is filled with the graduate’s memories, is an optional gift idea for you.

Collect photos about his or her school days, graduation announcements and programs, clippings and memorabilia from college years, make a slideshow with PowerPoint, then burn this PowerPoint slideshow into DVD.

An article about details about how to make a graduation DVD slideshow:
    http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/articles/dvd-slideshow-graduation-idea.html#240
    charlenequ

Answer by charlenequ at 3:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My sons just had their grad party and some guests gave them cash gifts....they rec'd $10-$25 gifts.

We gave them each a class ring and then, because we had "May your futures be so bright that you have to wear shades" on their cake we also gave them each a pair of sunglasses.
    Anonymous

• A gift certificate to an office supply store might be an idea. They will need plenty of supplies etc. Put it in a nice card and wrap it with a ribbon.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 1:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010