Grounding a 3 year old??

I was talking my cousin and she told me that her 3 yr old dd got into some baby oil or something and spread it all over her bedroom. So she grounded her for 2 weeks. Took away her fav. toy and no tv and no gma. That seems a little extreme to me... The next day the child prob. forgot what she did! And to ground her from gma that just doesn't seem right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah, I don't think kids have the mental capacity to understand "being grounded" until they're around five or six.
    Anonymous

• At 3 years old, the child will have already forgotten what she was in trouble for the next day. Time out would have sufficed for that incident. And to keep the kid from gma for doing something that most kids do at some point or another? That's a bit harsh.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• 3 year olds have the attention span of a gnat. That poor kid is going to cry for 2 weeks wondering why mommy is so mean.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• that sounds pretty crazy... grounding, IMO, is a punishment for an action that is taken where the consequences were clear or obviously defiant. a three year-old getting into baby oil is pretty normal... HUGE overreaction. she should ground herself for being stupid enough to leave the baby oil out where it could be reached... after an hour the kid has no idea why he's being punished... this mom is gonna have a real eye opener as he gets older and REALLY goes stuff wrong.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• also... a punishment that doesn't fit the crime is not effective. what if he acted out again... what is left to take from him??
    figaro8895

• Time outs NOT grounding at that age!
    Anonymous

• good luck to her,, LOL,, Seems pretty extreme and silly to me,, why don't you give her a parenting book anon> LOL,,,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• she should have had her clean it, and be done with it that is actually kinda cruel!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Your cousin needs to read some parenting books 'cause that is the most ridiculous punishment I've ever heard of for a 3 y/o. The poor child wouldn't even remember what she did wrong the next day and will not understand why she's being punished no matter how much it is explained to her - she doesn't have the cognitive developement yet. Your cousin is a ditz!
    Anonymous

• She should have grounded herself for leaving the baby oil where a 3 year old could get to it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2010