I am a Christian

I believe every word in the Bible, even the ones I wish weren't there. I believe in a heaven and hell. I believe Jesus is the only way to the first and that any other way leads you to the second.
I believe that it is my responsibility as a Christian to try to "influence" (for lack of a better word) people who are not Christians to convert. However, like Jesus, I believe that most of the time, that DOESN'T involve shoving my faith in their face and telling them "You're going to hell". In fact, the bible warns me about just such behavior. I believe that people should just be treated with love and the rest should be up to God. I don't need to "save" people FOR Him, He's capable of speaking to them Himself. If they ask questions, I'll answer, but to constantly say "that's sinning, that's sinning, that's sinning" is counterproductive.
Can I get an "Amen" (no pun intended) from my fellow non-fanatics?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think simply making this post shows your true *fanatic* colors
    Anonymous

• I've noticed a lot of different people posing on here what their beliefs are. Am I a fanatic simply because I have said what my beliefs are? And would I be a fanatic if I had simply said "I'm a Christian"?
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• You are implying that you think people who do not think and act like you are lesser and will go to Hell, your "responsibility to influence ..." How about simply accepting and loving people for who they are rather than viewing them through your religious lens of judgment! You say you wouldn't tell people they are sinners but clearly you would think it, it seems that in your heart you are judgmental.
    Anonymous

• OK, I understand what you are saying. However, it sounds more like you just have a problem with my religion, as opposed to me being fanatic ABOUT my religion. And, no, there is no point in judging people, even in my heart, since I know that I myself am guilty of countless sins.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• And I have NEVER even thought that people who don't believe as I do are less than I am.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• This is a question for anon 40, If you don't believe in Hell, then why do you care so much about what other people think? So what if they believe if someone doesn't believe in Jesus that they are going to Hell. What do you expect them to believe, when it is what their religion tells them. They are just being honest about their beliefs.
    Anonymous

• You have no idea what my religion or beliefs are. Please do not make assumptions about other people's beliefs based on your own insecurities.
    Anonymous

• Am I a fanatic simply because I have said what my beliefs are?
    __________
    the first poster might think you are but compared to other christians I've met online & IRL I dont think you are a fanatic you did say that you dont want/like to shove your faith in other people's faces so i think thats a good thing however the I still want to influence peopel who are not like you to be just like you thing I dont think is right but thats just me personally. I believe in not coverting anyone at all for any reason I'm sure you wouldnt want me converting you to my faith plsease dont try to convert me to yours. my faith that I follow teaches me to always be respectful and tolerant of those whos race, appearance, gender, sexual preference, culture/religion & other ways differ from my own.

continued.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Yes Christians CAN save other people. Telling people what sin is...is the right thing to do. Of course there is appropriate times to do this, really though it seems you wouldn't like Christians to do it any time. The people who usually don't want to hear about sin, those are the people that are sinning and don't want to stop. Also, some people need to hear about hell. So many people have already heard about hell, because they read about it them self from the Bible. Kind of seems like you are judging other Christians for not teaching others the Way in the same way you do. The Bible says not to judge God's servant. You shouldn't be putting any Christian down that is serving the Lord. That's what the Bible says! Maybe be more loving to other Christians, even when they irritate you? Sounds to me like you did nothing this morning except say how much better you like the way you talk about Jesus.
    m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 12:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• continued...

I was raised in your faith & I hated almost every minute of it. its just not for me but if it works for you and makes you happy then I'm Happy you love your faith. If you feel that your faith is the right path for you to follow then I say good for you for following something that makes you happy you are following what your heart thinks is right for you.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2010