Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long should I ignore my husband & what else should I do to make him feel bad?

My husband is bipolar so sometimes life involves having to deal with angry outbursts which I generally ignore. However, I'm pregnant and not using my hormones as an excuse to be a bitch. This morning my husband got himself all worked up about something like the wind blowing. Usually I ignore it and let him calm down on his own, but I just didn't want to hear it. I told him to calm down and stop ruining our time together with nonsense. This led to lots of angry words on both sides. Today I'm tired of being the one that keeps my head together. I think he needs some extra incentive to apologize and think about the consequences of his actions. I'm not normally vindictive but today I just want him to feel like crap for what he said and did.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (26)
  • If he's bipolar he can't always control his outburst. Ignoring things can only make them worse, if it bothered you that bad you need to talk to him. Ignoring doesn't do anything but cause more problems.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • I was the same way and I started taking anti-deppresants and getting counseling. You need to put your foot down and let him know this is really affecting and you will not take it anymore and he needs to get some help. You deserve to live without the stress he causes you.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • I hope he is on meds,, even if he is,, I think he needs an evaluation from his doctor,, you cannot be having these kinds of outbursts with a baby on the way! You and the baby will be stressed,, I would lay down the law,, and tell him to knock it off, if not for your sake, for his unborn baby,,, hang i there momma!

    Answer by kimigogo at 12:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • If he's got bipolar, then he either isn't medicated, or isn't on the right kind of medication and needs to get on them. If you're just pulling the "bipolar" out of your ass and he hasn't been diagnosed as bipolar, then he probably just has anger issues and STILL needs to get help.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • Agree with Anon: 47.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • You said he is bipolar....why are you punishing him by ignoring him and making him feel bad??? That is selfish and insensitive,you know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • yes he's been diagnosed. no he's not on meds - he was and has been off them for a long time. frankly i'm not sure it's true bp but he does have anxiety issues. i'm ignoring him because i don't need to be verbally abused - am i supposed to go play nice and hang around because he calls me a fat bitch while i'm pregnant, tells me he's using me and that i'm the source of all his problems, or maybe i should go for another drive with him while he is freaking out bitching about anything and everything around him and driving like a maniac and telling me i'm lucky he doesn't kick my ass. just because i generally accept the fact that he has issues doesn't mean i open myself up to being abused even though that is common behavior from bp people. there's a reason i posted in just for fun other than relationships. i'm not a stupid insensitive asshole, i just need to vent...

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • Well if he has bi polar he can't help the way he acts and you need to help him get the help he needs for instead of putting gas on the fire kwim?

    Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • Why do you stay with him if he's so unbearable?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

  • If your husband has true psych issues then you ignoring him is not going to help. Sure you have a right to feel frustrated, but if someone has a true psychological condition then they cannot always control outbursts, especially if they are not taking meds. Is he in counseling? Are you both in family counsiling to help deal with issues related to a person being Bi-Polar? If hurtful things are said, you can make a person aware of how hurtful those things are without being mean and vindictive and wanting to get revenge. Dealing with psychological issues can be so hard on family members and on the person themselves. Counseling is very much needed especially with a child on the way. Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.