What do you think of kids getting tattoo's?

I just found out my son got a tattoo. (He has had it over a year) I am not fond of tattoo's because they are very hard to get rid of. Apparently my son got this tattoo done by 'friends' at their home. Not a pro-tattoo. It is ugly, the lines are all crazy, etc. I am only thankful that it is on a part of his body that won't show on a job interview. Also the subject is tacky. The outline of our state with testicles and a penis. Really trashy. It looks like those 'prison' tattoo's done with a pin and ball point pen ink. YUCK.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Professional, tasteful tattoos are fine...if they're over 18. However, the home done kind not only usually look horrible but are dangerous.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Tattoos are disgusting!
    Anonymous

• I don't mind if it is professional. I got my first tattoo at 16, It is a heart with 3 small stars on my ankle (representative of my brother and 3 sisters). My second I got at 17 and it is a volleyball on my shoulder blade. I have played volleyball since I was 5 and it is my passion. They were both professionally done and very thought out. My husband has 8, his first was at age 16 as well, but they are all hidden when he wears a t-shirt, except for one on the back of his leg which can be hidden with pants.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Tattoos well done can be awesome. Home jobs usually look horrendous and are possibly the result of a lot of alcohol being ingested.

I personally love my tattoo. It took me almost two years to come up with the perfect design. I've had it for six years now, and I still love it, and get complimented on it any time it's showing (it's on my back, so it can only be seen when I wear something that doesn't cover my entire back.) It's tattered wings that cover my entire back (from shoulders down to my butt) with the words "Dum Spiro Spero" (Latin for "While I Breathe, I Hope") in the middle. I plan on getting one of the feathers that is missing from it tattooed on my calf with my brother's name and dates of life on it.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think if it is something that the person has invested time thinking about, and KNOW that's what they want done and can back up why, AND if it's professionally done-then they can be awesome. The home done ones usually are terrible. How old is your son? What a tacky tattoo. I'd be sad if that's what one of my sons had gotten. He'll regret that someday!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I have a tattoo, just a small one on my hip. I have for some reason always just wanted one. I have had it for 7 years now. I am still glad that I got it. If my kids want a tattoo I will tell them that they can when they are 18 and can pay for it themselves. I don't think it something to do the spur of the moment because you are stuck with it forever. It is something to really think about.
    Anonymous

• Is he over 18? Let him be an adult. If he wants to limit his job options than that's his choice but many places hire people with tattoos. The tattoo sounds hideous but where is it located? can he hide it? I have one on the back of my neck but I'm a girl so I can hide it by wearing my hair down or wearing a collared shirt if I needed to.
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I think tattoos are trashy and disgusting and I will NEVER get one.
    Anonymous

• STUPID

JUST PLAIN GRAFFITI

Anonymous

• Doing tattoos without a license is illegal. His "friends" are probably not only doing this illegally but also improperly, which can lead to contamination, infection, Hepatitis, etc. I have a BIG problem with people who tattoo illegally.

If it were done professionally I wouldn't have a problem with it. My husband and I both have tattoos, and we expect our kids will one day want them as well. Once they are 18 it is their choice, but they WILL be educated on shopping for a proper tattoo artist and not just going to their friend's garage for some scratch.
    TheBodyShopMom

Answer by TheBodyShopMom at 4:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2010