What is your healthiest and best tasting way to cook talapia?

Bought some and I'm looking forward to trying it.
Why are they saying it is the best fish for you?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 1:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I do not use premade rubs, butters, oils none of that on my tilapia. All of that stuff is unhealthy for me with my diet (low fat and low sodium) but we love the way I make it. I take aluminum foil, spray it with cooking spray, lay in a tilapia fillet, slice a lemon thinly, lay the lemon slices over the top of the filet, squeeze a little lemon juice over it, and sprinkle with Mrs Dash Italian seasoning. Wrap the fillet completely with the foil to make a pouch. Bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your fillet. Very yummy, low fat, low sodium, and it comes out juicy and tender because of the lemon juice and the moisture being sealed in.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I bake it with a little bit of lemon juice and butter.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Baked with lemon pepper, old bay and butter. Sometimes we grill it.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I love tilapia; it's got a nice light flavor that pairs well with almost anything. I like it best sauteed in a pan with some salt and pepper, then served over steamed rice and veggies or with pasta and red sauce. We get wild tilapia, not farm raised. There's a difference, both in taste and health levels. Salmon is also good for you, but has a stronger flavor than most people like- I find that lime juice helps that a lot.  Tese are two links I found about tilapia.

http://www.aboutseafood.com/health-nutrition/blog-about-seafood/truth-about-tilapia

http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2008/07/tilapia-worse-f.html

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I use the fish rub from Emeril and cook it in a bit of olive oil and before serving it I sprinkle some feta cheese on top, yummy!

Answer by older at 1:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• now that its summer, i try not to use the oven..cause it makes the place so hot. so i like to make talipia o n stovetop add a lil butter, sprinkle with maybe lemon pepper/ i like garlic salt an about 5 mins on each side..mmmm! with white rice an veggies.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I make fish tacos out of it,, you can grill,,, but I love it fried,, you put it in tempura bater and serve on tortialls with peppers,, tomatoes,, guac, and salsa,,, Love it! If you grill t make sure to use one of those grill things that hold the fish together,, put PAM or something on it,, to make sure it doesn't burn,,, Talapia can be used any way that Orange Roughy isWish I was coming to your house for dinner!!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• i oven "fry" mine, with some shake and bake seaoning packs, a couple dashes of lemon pepper and seasoning salt, and put it in the oven and spray with olive oil Pam! crunchy like fried fish, but none of the grease! i pair it will a side of baked beans and usually a type of rice
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I always bake fish....with a little olive oil and seasoning---no salt.
    Any fish is very healthy but of it is fried, it defeats the purpose of eating healthy. You might as well eat any fish or meat ,it won't matter, because if it is fried, it won't be healthy,I guarantee.
    Anonymous

• But I haven't found anythign saying that tilapia is one of the healthiest fish. The things I've found say its actually bad for people with coronary heart disease because it and catfish contain higher levels of harmful omega 6 fatty acids which can cause your artery or something like that to be a lot smaller than normal.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tilapia/MY00167
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2010